News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Videos for sharpening single bevel Japanese knives?

Started by That Sharpening Guy, November 01, 2015, 07:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That Sharpening Guy

I have searched all over YouTube for videos on how to sharpen single bevel Japanese knives on the Tormek but am not able to find any. Does anyone have any videos or could suggest any videos on how to do this on the Tormek?

Thank you so very much in advance!!

Herman Trivilino

Why would the technique be any different? You grind on only one side. Hone both sides. But use care when honing the flat side. Keep the blade flat on the honing wheel.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Steve mentions sungle bevel Japanese knives in Sharpening School. Maybe he will post on this topic.

Ken

stevebot

It is not trivial and you will not learn much from a YT video.
Dave Martell's video is the best. http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ but not sure how to buy it since his website seems to be broken.
Main rule is FLAT waterstones on both sides. I will break the rules and grind and strop the secondary bevel on the Tormek but the back is always on a flat waterstone.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Jan

Quote from: stevebot on November 02, 2015, 01:09:45 PM

Dave Martell's video is the best. http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ but not sure how to buy it since his website seems to be broken.

On facebook I found the following sad explanation:

So the day has finally come that I'm forced to close down my online store. Our sales have gone from what was once 6-figures...... down...... down....... down..... to so low that we're not even covering the current monthly site fees. At this point we're going to cut our losses and drop out of the stone sales game for good.

What's going to happen moving forward? I'll just keep plugging away at knife making, handle work, sharpening, repairs, and all that stuff and hope/pray that this continues on. I'll do my best to bring in some items, (like boardwax/felt/diamond spray/etc) once in awhile for sale here on the forums but I can't promise anything, things are very tight here.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our thousands of customers that have supported us over the years, without all of you we couldn't have made it this far and I won't forget! I also want to thank our parents for the help that they've given us, especially in the last 1.5 yrs, we'd have been hosed good without their generosity.

So that's it for now. Time to make a change.....
Dave

Ken S

bobl

Herman is right. Get the correct angle and do just one side. These particular knives I have come across myself ( Sushi Knives )
They cut the product but leave a perfect parallel and horizontal line behind.
Be careful and light handed on the stropping wheel though.
Happy Sharpening.
From,
Bob The Knife Grinder.