News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

More Steve Bottorff Videos please!

Started by Grinder, October 24, 2015, 09:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinder

I have watched all seven of Steve's YouTube Videos and learned a great deal. Thank you Steve.

May we please have some more as they are like cool water to a thirsty soul.

I would love to see one on honing using the T7 please.

Having just bought the T7 my funds are too shy of buying the Sharpening services video right now but this will hopefully be in my Christmas stocking.

Many thanks
KR
Steve the Grinder.

Jan

I would like to strongly support Steve the Grinder.  :)

Steve Bottorff videos are very educative and inspiring. His thread "Sharpening for a better burr" started in summer this year stimulated 146 replies and reached almost 1000 views http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2562.0 .

That speaks for itself. 

Jan

Grinder

Well said Jan. Thanks for the support.

Steve has clearly a life time of experience that could benefit us all greatly. I first learned to sharpen edge tools as a young boy in my Grandfather's woodshed. He was a Master Mariner twice a ships captain and the Chief harbour pilot for Dublin harbour for many years. He could fix, repair or build anything. He had one simple test for sharpness, can it pop the hairs off your arm and for ultimate sharp does it cut through silk.

Jimmy R Jørgensen

If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Ken S

I probably have more experience with Steve's video than anyone else on the forum, excepting Steve. Steve has produced an excellent and in depth training program. He has a wealth of practical experience and knowledge. However, I feel it is only fair to keep in mind that while many of us have (in Herman's words) a "sharpening hobby", Steve has had a sharpening business. He has borne the cost of producing his Sharpening School video. We have all been the benefactors of his very generous sharing of parts of that video at no cost to us.

I hope Steve will continue sharing his knowledge. Having had the pleasure of spending some one on one time with him, his grasp of sharpening is extensive. He is an asset to this forum. We have benefitted from his expertise. I feel we should appreciate his commitment by purchasing his Sharpening School package.

Ken

Jan

Yes Ken, I completely understand your point.  :)

Persons in active sharpening business have to earn a livelihood. I myself find sharing parts of that video at no cost to us for a win-win situation. We can immediately benefit from selected aspects of Steve's expertise, and may be inspired to purchase the whole package. Steve on the other side, can acquire valuable feedback which is convertible in future product improvements.

In addition, there is the ethical aspect of generosity in sharing knowledge, which is intangible, but also in a certain way important.  ;)

Jan

Grinder

C'mon SteveBott, I would love to see how you hone at 3 oclock!

Elden

Quote from: Ken S on October 24, 2015, 05:30:37 PM
I feel it is only fair to keep in mind that while many of us have (in Herman's words) a "sharpening hobby", Steve has had a sharpening business. He has borne the cost of producing his Sharpening School video. We have all been the benefactors of his very generous sharing of parts of that video at no cost to us.

I hope Steve will continue sharing his knowledge. Having had the pleasure of spending some one on one time with him, his grasp of sharpening is extensive. He is an asset to this forum. We have benefitted from his expertise. I feel we should appreciate his commitment by purchasing his Sharpening School package.

Ken

I solidly and completely agree with Ken. I feel Steve has already gone "the extra mile" in releasing the footage he has. I would like to say a BIG thank you, Steve! From the actions I have seen from Steve, he is available to answer questions we ask. His website is wealth of information. Check it out if you haven't.

Have you ever asked Pepsi Cola for their recipe or for a video showing the ingredients used and the manufacturing process?

I feel Steve has and is generously sharing his knowledge here and elsewhere. His reactions to previous occurrences here on the forum have been exemplary.

Elden

Jimmy R Jørgensen

It seems that all you "old timers" forget or choose not to see what this is all about

There is a need for more and mayby better videos.. if it is Steve og jobe, og Bill Gates that does em is not the point (i feel) BUT there is a need for more and better video examples and explanations.. So forget that someone said Steve and move on yeah!

Ken S

Eldon,

Well stated.

Jimmy,

This old timer has not forgotten about the need for good video training. If you look back archived posts by some of the old timers and me, you will find that we have been asking for more and better training videos for quite some time. We continue to do so.Steve's DVD and the portions of it he has posted are, in my opinion, examples of the best kind of video training available. I have been with him in his shop while he was teaching me some of the things on his video. His DVD is like being with him in his shop. He has drawn on his years of experience, both as a teacher and as an active sharpener. He is not trying to advertise a product.

There are other very good videos online. Most, if not all, of us "old timers" have learned a lot from the shorter videos made by Jeff Farris years ago. Jeff's videos are still online, and I recommend them highly to you. They do not go into the depth that Steve does, but they are very good basic instruction.

Tormek has produced several videos with Alan Hotham. In my opinion, the best of these is the one on the DBS-22 drill bit jig. For those of us, like me, who use this jig infrequently, I watch Alan's video each time before using the jig. Alan's focus is marketing. This is not a bad thing, and he does it well. It is not the same thing as in depth training on how to overcome the pitfalls.

There are also several mediocre you tubes. Beware of any you tube showing how to open the box and a first use of the Tormek. These generally show lack of any Tormek experience, and are generally not worth watching.

In my opinion, Tormek does not want to promote any need for more advanced training. This is the way of business; I do not fault Tormek for this. Very few companies want potential customers to think that anything beyond opening the box is needed to have their products up and running. The Tormek is very well designed and manufactured. That does not mean there is not a learning curve to become proficient with it. Unfortunately, there is generally no good local training.

Stig is aware of our requests and is working on things. He is a very busy person. He has travelled more in a year than I have in my lifetime. He can only do what is mandated in the corporate budget.

I hope tormek will produce more training videos. There is certainly a need. If Tormek produce they have control of the content. If others produce them, Tormek will be included with other products.

Continue grumbling, Jimmy. We ar with you.

Ken

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Thanks for explaining it for me Ken.

The guy called Jeff is the one i thought was Steven.. Soooo who is Steven lol?.. Any link to one where he is in?

Yeah i know i come off as a jackass but I'm just the kind of guy who say what is on his mind and move on. Not bearing a grudge or nothing. I believe in say what you mean and feel, and people will know what you mean and what you stand for. Granted some can't handle the truth, but so be it. Not everyone is my cup of the, Or the other way around, but i can live with that.

All i'm saying it. Forum is all good. talking about it all good. but videos (especial for noobs is gold) and there is SO MUCH experience in the forum, and i hope some will record and share with the rest of us. I know it is also a matter of knowing how to record, and i know for some it is like asking them to build a rocket. I hope you have the courage to do it , ask the neighbor's boy or whatever to help record it. Now a days all you need is a Phone and your golden. They record in full HD and better, without breaking a sweat. he he.

SO get to is guy's we will appreciate it more than you can imagine..

BTW. if i in any way can help, let me know i do have some knowledge in well computer etc.

Ken S

Thanks, Eldon.

This post should be bookmarked by serious sharpeners. I appreciate your research efforts.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Maybe these links could be added to your "Beginners" thread, Ken.
Origin: Big Bang

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Thanks Elden/Eldon/kb0rvo

Or make a sticky with videos?