News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Request for Tormek produced video

Started by grepper, October 21, 2015, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Hey Stig,

One of the most frequent questions I've seen here over the years is how to properly prepare a new honing wheel.  It is difficult to explain in words and a constant source of uncertainty for your new users.  I would be really useful to have a Tormek factory made video that we could point users to that would finally and authoritatively show and explain the process.

The video should show how much oil to use and how much compound to apply when breaking in a new wheel.  Take users through the process.  Then it should show the exact same thing on a nice, black, broken-in wheel during normal use.

It would also be useful, possibly in a part two video, to show/explain what not to do.  It could show what happens with too much oil and how the wheel becomes rubbery and slippery and does not hold compound.  Then it could show not enough oil and how dusty the compound can be.   It could also demonstrate too little compound, as well as how too much compound just makes a mess and does not cut well.

The video could contain a wealth of educational commentary explaining the effects of how oil works, how the compound works and what it feels like with a properly functioning wheel.  It could be very interesting, informative and helpful.

Thanks!

Mark

Ken S

Very good post, Mark. I second your motion.

Ken

Stickan

Hi,
I will send your request to our marketing department so they make a note of it in the file "Things to do" :-)

Sincerely,
Stig

SharpenADullWitt

Thank you.

The info I have is from Jeff's video, back when another substance was sold with his kits (no longer relevant, doesn't come with replacement wheels).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)