News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Japanese dovetail chisel

Started by sbachner, July 12, 2006, 01:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbachner

Which jig is recommended for a Japanese dovetail chisel; the chisel has a triangular (or trapazoidal?) cross section?

I used the short tool jig with limited success.  Maybe I just need more practice?

Thanks,
SteveB.

Jeff Farris

Are the sides square to the front edge?

If the problem is the length of the tool, you can either use the SVS-32 short tool jig, or you can put the tool in the SVH-60 straight edge jig, sliding the tool forward until there is at least 1-1/4 inch on the stone side of the jig, and then square the tool to the jig with a small try square.

If the sides of the tool are not square to the cutting edge, scribe a square line across your stone with a pencil or fine tipped marker.  Mount the tool in the SVH-60 straight edge jig with the clamp loose. Move the Universal Support in until the edge of the tool is near the scribed line. Now adjust the tool until its cutting edge matches the scribed line. Set your bevel angle and you're ready to grind.
Jeff Farris

sbachner

Hey Jeff,

the straight edge jig didn't work for me because of the triangular cross section; clamping down on the point of the triangle, it was hard to get the chisel square.

The short tool jig seemed perfect due to the triangular shape of the jig.  I had trouble going from the stone to the leather due to the length of the chisel exposed.

I'll try it again and if I continue to have issues, I'll take some pics and post them.

Really just wanted to be sure I was at least approaching it correctly.

Thanks again,
SteveB.

Jeff Farris

Now I have in mind what your tool looks like in cross section.

I would try the SVH-60 Straight Edge Jig again, instead of the SVS-32.  It will be a little tricky to get the pressure balanced between the two clamps so that the tool is flat in the jig, but with the SVS-32 the apex of your triangle shape will be riding on the Universal Support.
Jeff Farris

sbachner

Ahhhhh....very good point.  I'll try the straight edge jig again.

Thanks,
SteveB.