News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a new angle setting tool

Started by Ken S, October 19, 2015, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Thanks for additional info to your new knife setter.

You will see that the angle setting with your knife setter is faster than with the Angle Master, but the simple wooden Kenjig is the fastest.  :)  The knife setter or Kenjig is especially useful for knifes with tapered blade, for which correct setting of the bevel angle with the Angle Master is challenging.

If you have the possibility to engrave some inscription on the plate, than I recommend the bevel angles 10°, 15° and 20° and also "Projection length 139 mm".

Jan

SharpenADullWitt

I figured you would find and use a sexbolt to replace those Tormek parts.  I think the bearings work better though, and IMHO, I like the single bearing one better (can easily see both sides touching), where the double bearing one makes me wonder if the wheel is developing a crown.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I would suggest drawing a couple ines on the bearings. That makes it very easy to see when the bearings are turning. (I drew a single spoke on the Tormek wheels on my TTS-100.)

Ken

Tournevis

Quote from: Jan on February 18, 2016, 01:13:38 PM
If you have the possibility to engrave some inscription on the plate, than I recommend the bevel angles 10°, 15° and 20° and also "Projection length 139 mm".
Improvement action planned on Version 2  :D

Quote from: Ken S on February 18, 2016, 11:05:21 PM
I would suggest drawing a couple ines on the bearings. That makes it very easy to see when the bearings are turning. (I drew a single spoke on the Tormek wheels on my TTS-100.)
Improvement action planned on Version 2  :D

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on February 18, 2016, 09:19:36 PM
I like the single bearing one better (can easily see both sides touching)
Fully agree, but need return on experience to confirm. :) At this time it is only "feeling" so not factual.

I am very pleased to share your experience and your kindness, I wonder how to buy more time for sharpening, should I wait until retirement ? If yes, two long years to wait.  :'(

Jan

Quote from: Tournevis on February 19, 2016, 07:45:57 AM

I am very pleased to share your experience and your kindness, I wonder how to buy more time for sharpening, should I wait until retirement ? If yes, two long years to wait.  :'(

Do not worry, the two years will run away quickly like wild horses and you will be fully free for sharpening.  :)

Jan

RichColvin

Sheang, what would you charge to make me a double bearing model (2 bearings each, front & back)?  I really like the Tormek TTS-100 for its simplicity & repeatability.  This jig you have made shows promise for the same with knives, & would make a nice addition to my jigs set (jig addiction?).
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Jan

Tournevis, it seems you have created a niche market for the cool knife setter.  ;)

Jan

Ken S

Rich,

Like you, I have a certain jig addiction with Tormek. (I have referred to myself as a "Tormek junkie".) This particular tool seems well designed and useful.

As forum moderator, I would be more comfortable if transactions like this were handled through personal messaged (PM). This is a gray area, and one I would prefer to avoid the possibility of either me or Sweden having to make a policy decision.

Ken

RichColvin

Sir, good point.  Thank you for helping us stay focused.
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

Please don't feel bad. Actually, I hope this transaction works  out well for you. I am of two minds in this kind of situation. I try to be sensitive to the non commercial side of the forum. We are Tormek's guests. However, the ideas put forth for  new tools, in my opinion, have been useful and do not compete with Tormek's offerings. I am pleased with the creativity and utility achieved by the forum members. In fact, I must confess to being one of the participants in this.

The purpose of this forum is  to help the members  become more efficient with the Tormek. This tool, and several other member designed tools achieve that goal.

While I prefer actual transactions be completed  off forum, I do hope your request is successful, and that after you achieve good successusing it you will post your review and thoughts.

Keep posting.

Ken

Ken S

One of the things I find fascinating about this forum is how ideas develop. In the quest for a simpler method of setting bevel angles for knives (but not  limited to knives) we have created several working tools. The creative computing power of the forum together definitely exceeds the sum of the individuals. I see this variety as very healthy. The variety offers options to ourmembers.

Some may opt for the simple wooden tool, which can be constructed in five minutes and will require another minute every year to remain accurate.

Some will like the idea of adapting a TTS-100 and needing no further calibration.

Some will like the Rolls-Royce stainless option!

Some will devise other and perhaps more useful options. I hope they will post.

Stay tuned......

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Tournevis on February 19, 2016, 07:45:57 AM

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on February 18, 2016, 09:19:36 PM
I like the single bearing one better (can easily see both sides touching)
Fully agree, but need return on experience to confirm. :) At this time it is only "feeling" so not factual.

I wonder how to buy more time for sharpening, should I wait until retirement ? If yes, two long years to wait.  :'(

If you figure that out, let me know.  I visit here, but don't get a lot of shop time for any purposes (at least 20 years to retirement).

Quote from: Ken S on February 19, 2016, 01:15:38 PM
Rich,

As forum moderator, I would be more comfortable if transactions like this were handled through personal messaged (PM). This is a gray area, and one I would prefer to avoid the possibility of either me or Sweden having to make a policy decision.

Ken
While I agree the actual transaction needs to be completed elsewhere, I am glad he posted this expressing interest.  I see this as the same as the extended support, or the Sharpening video's, that others may not have time to make and would like a useful tool.  (let the originator know so they could figure out time verses costs, etc).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thoughts, SADW.

Don't  count on having lots of spare shop time in retirement. I have been "retired" for seven years. I actually had more shop time when I was still working. Other responsibilities can creep in and fill your time.

I can't speak for Steve or Robin. I would be delighted and surprised if their Tormek related offerings are actually profitable. That is sad, as they both offer useful products at a very fair price.

I can share results for the kenjig. I have given away perhaps six. If I was keeping books, I would have perhaps a dollar in scrap baltic birch plywood and a higher figure in postage costs. Sales revenue=000.

Tormek has expressed no interest in the idea and, to the best of my knowledge, no one has built one for himself (although I have encouraged this).

The idea needs a good video. I plan to do that in the future. I still believe in the idea, and the more sophisticated offspring.

I have never expected or wanted to profit from any of my forum ideas. I am pleased if others can profit from their ideas. I know there are development costs to recoup, and someone should benefit from his ideas.

I welcome ideas and products which advance the Tormek. In the years since I have been a Tormek user, Tormek has produced some remarkable innovations. I also think Herman's small knife jig is as remarkable an innovation as those coming from Sweden. I believe these bevel setting devices will prove to have the same level of value.

I am looking forward to new ideas from all sources.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Tournevis on February 17, 2016, 06:25:23 PM
hello Ken and Jan,
With your help and recommendations in this topic, I finally made 2 Stainless steel Kenjig.

Here is the first one based on double ball bearing.

Double ball bearing in situation :

I'm a big fan

Sheang sent me the double bearing model (I call it the "Han-Jig"), & I got it this weekend.   Used it to setup my Tormek to sharpen a number of knives.  This thing is the bee's knees.

I'm a big fan of using the TTS-100 to setup for sharpening my lathe tools, & the Han-Jig is really like using the TTS, but for knives.

Sheang did a great job :  This is something worth making for a compleat set of jigs !!
Rich Colvin

Ken S

Rich,

Well done!

When I was sharpening some plane blades (with camber) this weekend, I noticed that the first blade was not quite square for the initial sharpening. I took a very light truing cut with the TT-50. To my surprise, it took several very light truing cuts (less than half a number) to fully true the SG-250. I have become convinced that making a very light truing cut should be part of the routine when doing critical sharpening. Post truing, the plane blade was quite square.

I set up the SE-77 using the TTS-100. I have become convinced of the value of the self compensating feature for wheel diameter. my wheel has shed another 5mm diameter. With the TTS-100 or bearings, change is not a problem.

Incidentally, Rich, my original motivation for developing the kenjig was not for knives. It was for carving tools for a forum member who carves and with older eyes, has trouble seeing the anglemaster at times.

keep up the good work!

Ken