News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a new angle setting tool

Started by Ken S, October 19, 2015, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Sorry Ken, I didn't get your point.  :(  Nevertheless the positions of the additional holes with respect to the metal contact discs and the existing holes A and B are fixed. No admissible geometrical transformation can change it without changing the bevel angle or TTS ability to compensate for changing wheel diameter.

The only allowed operation is to rotate with the whole tool setter around the wheel axis. This property enables us to select the universal support positioned either horizontally or vertically.

The drawing shows the knife jig on horizontally positioned universal support for grinding/honing away from the edge.

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

Your last post will require some time for my limited mind to absorb. However, that time will have been well spent. This process may require both ebb and flow time, however, I am confident the end result will more than justify the time invested and contribute to the general Tormek technique.

Keep up the good work.

Ken

Jan

Ken, feel free to take your time.  :)

Given that we already winterized our gardens, maybe I will also go on from my desktop exercise to making a physical prototype of the modified tool setter. I am also curious if the design is OK. German proverb says: "The devil is in the details".

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

Physical prototypes are always a good idea. I speak from having spent a long time with graph paper designing a product which a simple prototype would have demonstrated would not work. >:(

Ken

Jan

Ken, I have a small Christmas present for you.  :)
I build a prototype of the modified tool setter for your knife jig. It is designed for 15 degrees bevel angle and your 139 mm projection length.

The major advantage is, that the setter is not dependent on grinding stone/honing wheel diameter.

Jan

P.S.: The plastic plate is made of 8 mm thick polyethylene. To increase the setter stability on the universal support, it may be good, to put this plastic plate from each side of the TTS-100. In this case, thinner plastic plate could be used. 

Drilling template, can be downloaded from the following address:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw32tgvsaacd2k2/TTS100_7_skut_vel.pdf?dl=1

Elden

That looks great,  Jan!
   Out of curiosity, approximately how many revolutions of the universal support bar adjustment nut would need to be made to increase the bevel to 20° using this setting tool? I know another one could be made to the 20° bevel setting. However, I would think turning the adjustment nut a predetermined number of turns from the 15° setting would be a workable solution as well.
Elden

Ken S

Excellent work, Jan!

Interesting comment, too, Elden.

I hope to post a related topic in a day or two. Busy family schedule today.

Ken

Jan

Thank you Elden and Ken.  :)

Elden, at this moment I cannot answer your very interesting question, because I drilled only the additional hole for US at 15 degrees. The two smaller holes are only pilot holes for 10 and 20 degrees bevel angles. I did not drill them to the full size (12 mm), because they overlap with the hole for 15 degrees.

Jan

P.S.: Elden, based on my drawings, you have to move the universal support bar by some 7 mm, which corresponds to almost 5 revolutions of the universal support bar adjustment nut. This is valid for 250 mm stone.

Tournevis

Hello all,
Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all.
I was gone for a while due to personal situation change.
I just join a new work position and was very busy to move to this new "sea side" location.
Jan, is it possible to merge all concept and prototype in one tool ?
Could you please make a drawing as the "perfect knife setting" tool without artefact from TTS or any copyrighted tool ?
I have a capability to built a "composite" plate with high precision as prototype.
Thanks in advance.

Jan

Sheang, your interest pleases me!  :)
Yes, if you give me some time*, I will prepare a simple technical drawing of the knife setter. Do you intend to make your own metal contact discs, or are you going to buy the original ones as a spare parts?

Jan

*P.S.: I'm a little bit busy right now because it starts here the traditional season of slaughtering domestic pigs. Very sharp knives and a cleaver are required for butchering.

In the past, butchering was a trade passed from father to son, while today the initial slaughter is done by a professional butcher. Nevertheless the meat is still butchered by the owner's  family and the process is accompanied by some amusing rituals.

Tournevis

Hi Jan,
In France , we also have some slaughtering domestic pigs in few regions. Brittany and South West. :D
More or less it is now more a folkloric tradition then an economical necessity as in the 19th century.
Back to your question, if I can buy the original one as spare parts, I am not sure about that, I will buy.
But before that I have a question. Are those metallic disc really needed ? What's the function ? If their role is only contact points, some simple pins could give the same reference ?
Anyway, you are the master of design, and I'll try to make them in the simplest way possible. :)

Elden

The rotating wheels easily verifies when proper contact is made with the grinding wheel. Both will rotate when the grinding wheel is turned by hand. If only one turns, proper contact or alignment is not being made. It would be more difficult to make that verification with the use of pins.
Elden

Jan

Sheang, thanks for confirming that the hog butchering tradition is still alive in France.  :)

As explained by Elden, the Tormek concept of metal contact discs is clever and works fine. I recommend to use the original discs.

In the drawing below you can find the dimensions necessary to build a knife setter similar to TTS. The drawing is valid for knife jig and Ken's projection length 139 mm.

The figure shows positions of universal support for bevel angles 10, 15 and 20 degrees. All measures in the drawing are in mm.

Let me know if you can work with the *.dxf CAD file and I will make it available.

Jan

Tournevis

Many thanks Jan
Good point kb0rvo
Yes I can read and manage DXF CAD file.
One question, what's your recommendation about the thickness of the composite plate ?
Does this tool work with any T4 & T7 ? (from my understanding the answer is Yes, but I would like your confirmation.)  :)
Last but not least, do you have any source to buy metal contact discs ?
Does Tormek sell them as spare parts ?
Cheers

Jan

You can download the DXF CAD file from the following address:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmyzjqnked8fwkq/Knife_setter_1.dxf?dl=1

The original TTS-100 plate is 4 mm thick, but is extruded to 5 mm in places where the metal contact discs are inserted. Around the holes for the universal support the original plate is extruded to 16 mm.

My plastic plate was made of 8 mm thick polyethylene, but thicker plate or sandwich construction would be better.

The knife setter will work with both, T4 and T7. Its major advantage is, that it is practically not dependent on grinding stone/honing wheel diameter (in the range 160 to 250 mm).

The metal contact discs are listed as article 1250 in the TTS-100 parts breakdown list.
http://tormek.com/media/100848/tts-100-breakdown.pdf

Jan