News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing on the leather wheel

Started by sbachner, July 11, 2006, 05:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbachner

What is the "effective grit" of the Tormek honing compund on the leather wheel?  Also, should I expect the scratch pattern left by the 1000 grit pass to be removed by honing on the leather wheel?

Thanks,
SteveB.

Jeff Farris

The honing compound has an effective grit of 6000.

Yes, if you get your stone properly graded to 1000 grit, the honing wheel will remove the scratches and leave a polished, reflective surface.

The key there for most new users is getting the stone properly graded.  It takes more time and pressure than many folks tend to use.  The stone should feel like wet glass after grading.  If it still feels abrasive, get back on it with the grader.
Jeff Farris

sbachner

Petrovich

Let me chime in on this one.

The last grit you use on the stone will have a lot to do with the final polished surface of the bevel after leather honing.

I have used my machine now for a couple of months and the only thing I have sharpened have been knives.  I do intend to get a scissor jig soon, however.

I have discovered that the finest grit on the stone suits my purposes the best.  I have also discovered that refinishing my stone's face regularly helps a lot.  I apologize if I'm not using correct terminology.

Here's my regimen.  I take the course side of the stone supplied with the machine and use it first on the face of the wheel, followed by the finer side.  I do this fairly often because it seems to keep the wheel face square.  I also put a little bevel on the edges of the stone.

After polishing with both sides of the stone supplied by tormek, I use a medium grit diamond bench hone and a very fine grit diamond bench hone.  With each of these I use light pressure and polish the face of the wheel.

After doing this the face of my stone feels like glass.

The wheel cuts much slower, of course; but man what a pretty bevel it produces.  Following it with the leather hone makes the bevel shine like a mirror and the knife is razor sharp.

Speaking of razors.  I did successfully sharpen a straight razor...and it shaves magnificently.  It took some doing; and I didn't even attempt to use the knife jig.

My procedure was to stand in FRONT of the machine, and gently sharpen the razor by hand on the stone wheel.  Then I honed on the leather wheel.  I can't describe the procedure in detail, you just have to try it for yourself.  Just remember that the spine of the straight razor is your angle guide.  I basically held the blade flat, and applied more finger pressure toward the cutting edge and let the spine rest on the stone with as little pressure as possible.  Engage the wheel with the spine first to get oriented to the stone, then tip the blade until the cutting edge comes into contact with the stone.