News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Secrets of the Viking Sword"

Started by Ken S, September 08, 2015, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I recently watched the Nova program (PBS) "Secrets of the Viking Sword". It was fascinating, combining history and metallurgy. Part of the program was about how good knife steel is made (and was made over a thousand years ago). For the military history buffs, the program also discusses how the swords were used in battle, not how one might expect. I give this program both thumbs up; well worth your time. Google "Nova Secrets of the Viking Sword" for a link to watch the program without charge.

Enjoy.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I agree, Ken. I recently watched that for the second time on the PBS FireTV app. It's been a few years since it originally aired on PBS. Really nice application of the history of metallurgy to the making of an edge tool. Fascinating that he was able to make a chunk of steel (ingot) in his car port using clay and charcoal, and a modern laboratory was able to show it had the same characteristics as the steel found in those 1000-year-old Viking swords that were rare in their day yet centuries ahead of their time.

Nowadays better steel is routinely made in factories, but the difference between it and his steel ingot is small compared to the huge difference between it and the steel used even for centuries afterwards.
Origin: Big Bang