News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drill powered unit upgrades

Started by Billyb, August 28, 2015, 11:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billyb

hello
My father has the original drill powered unit but has put a motor on it. He would like to use the latest jig holders but we were told he needs to upgrade the support bar. Has anyone carried out this upgrade and do you still have the instructions
Thanks

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Looking at this picture, it appears to me that support bar is different than the US-105. It appears that the mounting might be different as well. It might be my imagination, but the rubber drive wheel looks closer to the grinding wheel than on the T-7. Would there be enough room for the XB-100 horizontal base and the vertical mounting sleeves?

Comments, Stig?
Elden

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Billy.

You have posted a most interesting topic. I am curious to see what "Sweden" (Stig) will post. What comes to mind as a workable alternative is using either one or two BGM-100 kits. You can buy the kit with or without the universal support. One of each would set you up to be able to grind either direction.

Mount your Tormek on something like a piece of plywood. The wooden support pieces for the BGMs need to be placed far enough away to allow placing and dumping the water tray. The BGM sypport pieces are really stand ins for being able to use the housing. Do some mock up work first, as this is really a retro prototype.

With careful planning this should make your Dad's Tormek fully functional, a "T1". Do keep us posted and keep asking questions. We can help with drawings. (in the daytime)

Ken

Stickan

Hi guys,
Its possible to mount both vertical and horizontal sleeves on that machine.
You need to drill one hole to the sleeve on the top, the one that's already there is perfectly placed.
Please contact our agent in the country you live in and they will help you get the right parts.

http://tormek.com/international/en/resellers/

Sincerly,
Stig

Billyb

]Thanks for your replies
I have just checked the machine and found that when purchased it came with two sleeves, it is a ST 250 model, (will post pictures when possible ) does this make a difference to the diameter of the support bar, was the single sleeve smaller than the two sleeve model
Billyb

Elden

Thanks, Stig. That is great, I figured there was room but it hard to tell from a picture.
   That is good to hear, Billy. Welcome to the forum. The diameter of the Universal Bar should be 12 mm or approximately 1/2 inch. Are both sleeves already mounted?
Elden

Billyb

Hi kb0rvo
Yes it came with two vertical sleeves but was drill powered we have mounted it on a steel frame and added a motor and pulleys to reduce speed. Have photos but can't attach them?

Elden

A couple of postings about picture posting are mentioned in this thread:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2587.0

I used what Mark (Grepper) said to do to post the above picture which was on the Tormek site. My own pictures that I have posted have been placed on Photobucket and then posted on the forum following Mike Fairleigh's instructions.
Elden

Ken S

This topic is an example of what I hoped would happen with "Sweden" (Stig) getting more involved with the forum. Most of us have probably never even seen the "ancestor" models of the Tormek. Having access to the factory experience is invaluable in these instances.

Good job, Stig.

Ken

Billyb

Tried but failed to load images

grepper

What happened, or didn't happen?  Did you upload the images to Photobucket or some other online hosting service?

We can probably help you through it if you wish. :)

Billyb

[/URL][/img]

Billyb