News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Homemade honing jig & cleaver support

Started by wootz, August 15, 2015, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

2018 Update: We have started manufacturing a Frontal Vertical Base for honing and grinding away from the wheel - please check our website knifeGrinders.com.au
And below is the story of how it all started in 2016...

Being so grateful to this forum for heaps of helpful hints, I just want to pay back sharing my honing attachment.
I gave up on freehand stropping long ago, because no matter what technique I tried, I dulled the edge. I admit it is entirely operator error, but alas not everyone is born with freehand talent.

Thanks to two M12 x 120mm bolts, a piece of 35mm wood, and parts from the BGM-100 kit, I can now strop under a set angle.
4-6 slow passes across the wheel on alternate sides of the blade with very light pressure delivers hair splitting edge.
Pictures are self-explanatory.

Flipped to the right, accommodates cleavers thanks to farther distance to the stone compared to the standard support.

stevebot

Nice.  Thanks for sharing.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

SharpOp

Yes, thanks for sharing.

The use of the BGM-100 pieces is very interesting and solves one of the problems I've been having with a jig idea.

Good work!

~Doug

Jan

Congratulations Vadim!  :)
Very innovative, simple and effective solution. Definitively inspiring for me. Thanks for sharing.  :)

I suppose your jig enables to hone/grind keeping the blade flat = horizontal, also.

Jan

SharpOp

Quote from: Jan on August 15, 2015, 08:06:13 PM
I suppose your jig enables to hone/grind keeping the blade flat = horizontal, also.

It sure looks like it, doesn't it?  Another simple, elegant solution.

Jan

Vadim, I would like to ask you whether the bottom rear corner of the wooden block does rest on the tilted Tormek steel housing?   

Jan

wootz

Hi Jan,
Apologies for late reply, I was out bushwalking over weekend.

The M12 bolts allow some degree of horizontal freedom, ie I move the attachment back and forth; while the universal support offers vertical adjustment by design - these together fit cleavers of various shapes.
For honing knives I move it to the case.
For sharpening a wider cleaver I sometimes insert the attachment upside down as to what is in the pictures, to distance it from the stone.

With BGM-100 I could do without those bolts and wood, but was reluctant to drill the front of the Tormek as it is still under warranty.

Jan

Thank you for your detailed explanation, Vadim!  :)

Your solution is really very inspiring for me, I am considering to buy the mounting set BGM-100, also.  It offers an exceptionally wide variety of additional options. 

Jan

stevebot

I love this device.  It solves a problem I have with sharpening long knives off the horizontal support.  thanks you sharing.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Fineline

Ken S

I believe this discussion, as well as several others, demonstrate the versatility of both the BGM-100 and the Universal Support. The BGM-100 seems much more useful than just with a dry grinder. I bought one with plans to mount it on top of either the T4 or T7 to provide a horizontal mount with the wheel turning into the edge.

With the Tormek mounted on a wooden board, the BGM-100 could be used in several locations to provide more control. Earlier I showed some pictures of using the USP and Tormek platform jig with a wooden platform to support drywall knives (and wheel dressers) on the side of the grinding wheel. I think there are many more yet undiscovered uses for these flexible tools.

Ken

Fineline

Hi Ken,
If you have found a way to mount the BGM horizontally to provide grinding (cleavers) into the wheel, please share with us. I find grinding into the wheel gives more control.
Thanks,
FL

Ken S

I will gladly share that idea. It works with both the T4 and the T7. My schedule is tight right now, so it may take a while.

Ken

wootz

Photos show BMG-100 used in place of the Horizontal Base to mount the Universal Support vertically and sharpen away from the edge, or hone, with regular jigs.

And extended for cleavers.

Jan

Congratulations Vadim and thanks for sharing your invention!   :)

You have found very innovative usage of the BGM-100 set. Really simple and effective solution. In my understanding you drilled two new holes into the height adjustable bloc. Definitively inspiring for me.

Jan