News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Long Knife Jig asymmetry problem

Started by wootz, August 02, 2015, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

When I watched the video in question, I was horrified.  :o

Positioning the knife so obliquely to the grindstone cannot lead to sharpening a consistent knife edge. Also the method of using sharpening steel was not correct. The beginning of the video reminds me of prestidigitator's performance with grinder and knife.  ;)

Jan

Elden

I told you in the past that your English is probably better than mine, Jan. You made me use the dictionary with that post.  ??? :)
Elden

Jan

Sorry Elden, it was not my intention!  :)

When I realized how great is the change in the bevel angle when the knife meets the stone at an oblique angle, I began to think about how to use it for sharpening scissors which don't have the same bevel angle along their entire length.  ;)

Jan

Ken S

It is easy to think of a consistent bevel obtained by careful use of a jig as for appearance. The other factor, perhaps more important, is that careful use of a jig with the same settings over time will result in less metal being removed.

Ken

grepper

If you examine a freehand sharpened knife under a microscope, there is a lot of micro beveling back from the edge.  Well, at least when I do it.  ::)

So all of the passes that I took back from the edge were just wasted time and like Ken said wasted metal.  Obviously, if you don't hit the edge the knife is not getting any sharper.

Consider what happens if you hit the edge on part of the blade, but miss on others because the blade was tilted away from the edge.  Obviously, eventually a perfectly useable edge can be created, but it's easy to imaging what's going on down there and easy to see under a scope.

Ken S

grepper,

On a bandsaw blade, that pattern might be called"skip tooth". :)

Ken

carvingcat

After a bit of advice from Tormek Support I've managed to get my jig sorted! It turns out it was bent when I received it and so the results were not as expected, but I have managed to gently knock it back straight and now it performs perfectly. I straightened it by eye, and to check it was going to be correctly set up I marked the stone with a pencil to see where the blade would touch on either side. The images show very minor deviation now and I imagine any difference in bevel angle will be insignificant. Thanks to Stig for the advice!

Before

After

The lines show negligible difference for each side of the blade

Jan

Thank you Carvingcat for posting information concerning your bent knife jig and congrats to your successful straightening it.  :)

The measurement you have done is not sufficient, but necessary condition for its symmetrical functioning.

Jan

Ken S

A verypractical suggestion. One for the memory bank!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: carvingcat on January 14, 2016, 12:50:11 PM
After a bit of advice from Tormek Support I've managed to get my jig sorted!

Did they tell you straighten it out? So you were no longer afraid you might break it?
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I purchased a used (abused?) roughing gouge. I think the previous owner had a major catch with it. It was bent where it entered the handle. After much thought and concern, I finally put it in my woodworking vise and slowly leaned on it. To my pleasant surprise, straightening it took much less time than debating the issue. The solution was gradually applying the pressure.

Worst case scenario, T C was that you might have to replace the part or look for another jig. In the process you learned a new skill. I would call that a win. I do see Herman's point. Metal is often more brittle than we realize.

Ken

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on January 15, 2016, 03:19:26 AM
A very practical suggestion. One for the memory bank!

Ken

''But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.''  :)

Jan

Ken S

Jan

Ken S