News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

small improvements

Started by Ken S, July 25, 2015, 01:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

When I posted the PDF for the knife setting tool, it reflected the state of advancement at the time. It was actually about the fourth prototype. Since posting, I have continued to seek improvement.

Recently, I have become aware of two small improvements. The tool was designed for three groups: 1) beginners 2) those who sharpen their home kitchen knives infrequently 3) people who must sharpen a variety of knives quickly. These latest two improvements benefit the last group, who must be able to set up and sharpen quickly.

The source of these improvements is Steve Bottorff's new Sharpening School DVD, specifically from the clip Steve posted on this knife sharpening sub forum.

I can sharpen all of my kitchen knives with the standard knife jig. My long jig stays in the box. I designed the knife setting tool to standardize the distance between the universal support and the grinding wheel. Switching from paring knives to larger knives involved only changing the projection distance of the knife jig. This works, however, there is a better way. Steve shows the better way in the Tormek knife jig you tube. He uses both jigs. The chef's knife he shows in the large knife jig could easily be sharpened in the standard knife jig. However, using the long knife jig allows it to remain set at the projection distance for the chef's knife. He leaves the standard jig set for the paring knife. Both jigs are set for a matching projection distance. For someone sharpening a lot of different knives, this saves readjustment time.

Granted, my plan was to sharpen by groupings. I would sharpen all the chef's knives first before moving to smaller knives. This would minimize the jig readjustment to only when switching kinds of knives. Steve's method of using different jigs means even less readjustment would be necessary. I think it's a better way.

The second small improvement I noticed on the DVD is placing the universal support. This was like the clue the TV detectives found by rewatching the security camera tape several times. I did not notice this the first half dozen times I watched the DVD. When Steve inserts the universal support, he uses a finger to stop the universal support at the exit end of the sleeve. He does not appear to have set the distance between the universal support and the grinding wheel. What he has actually done is to use his finger to set the distance where the universal support emerges from the sleeve. He knows from long experience that this distance will give him the approximately eighteen degree angle he desires. No use of the angle master or setting the micro adjust is necessary.

I do not consider the knife setting jig as having completely evolved. Steve's DVD has bumped the knife tool along to work a bit more efficiently.

Ken

SharpOp

I'm following your progress with interest, Ken.

The Tormek is, by far, my favorite powered knife-sharpening machine, but per-knife setup tends to be slow and fiddly.  Your knife setting jig, Steve's procedural approach, etc. are very helpful for those who need or want to sharpen many knives quickly and accurately.

~Doug

Ken S

Doug,

I agree that Steve's approach with the Tormek makes knife work more efficient. Yes, setting up the Tormek can certainly seem "slow and fiddly". However, I do not believe this needs to be so.

I have decided to take Steve's two knife jig set up a bit farther. I just purchased an SVM-100 long knife jig on Ebay. This is the older version of the SVM-140. (The numbers are the length of the clamping surface in millimeters.) The new 140 mm version makes sense for long, thin knives. I want to experiment with using the "intermediate" (formerly "long knife") jig with my six inch slicing knife. I am hoping that using the third jig will eliminate even more "fiddlyness". I believe it is possible to set up (at places like farmer's markets) and work with no need for any tedious measurements.

I will post both any progress and any not so good ideas. I welcome suggestions.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 25, 2015, 09:04:16 PM
Yes, setting up the Tormek can certainly seem "slow and fiddly". However, I do not believe this needs to be so.

Setting up the knife jig can seem slow and fiddly. If instead you use a platform to sharpen your knives you set it up for a bevel angle and sharpen as many knives of various size as you like. You need change the setting only if you want to change the bevel angle.

And setting up the platform to the right angle requires only two hands, as opposed to the knife jigs which require three. Well, you can do it with two but that's what makes it slow and fiddly.  ;)
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Point well taken, Herman.

Ken

SharpOp

Quote from: Ken S on July 27, 2015, 01:39:53 AM
Point well taken, Herman.

Yes, point well taken.

Thanks for reminding me to explore that alternative approach to knife sharpening on the Tormek, Herman.

Ken S

Good comment, Doug. Both Herman's jig and watching Steve work remind me that the Tormek is a versatile tool, and can be used in many ways. The Tormek is continuing to evolve. The evolution began when a motor was permanently installed instead of using an electric drill. The universal support was added, which is probably the most important change. Later, sleeves were added to be able to use the universal support in a trailing direction instead of just an approaching grind. Ten years ago we might not have thought the Tormek capable of sharpening drill bits accurately, let alone putting a four facet grind on the bits. We presently have the option of two more grinding wheels, the SB and SJ. If I might be permitted to make a prediction, I believe that number will increase. (I presently have six wheels for my Tormek, and believe that trend will continue.)

Not every idea will prove practical. I have two small knife jigs based on using the Turlock platform. They do not work as well as Herman's designed, based on using the lower scissors platform. I also have several not so useful prototypes for the "kenjig"  knife setting tool. I believe it is important to continue exploring.

Progress seems a balance of competence with existing technology and innovation. We need both. I look forward to seeing coming growth in the use of the Tormek.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 27, 2015, 04:55:41 PM
I have two small knife jigs based on using the Turlock platform. They do not work as well as Herman's designed, based on using the lower scissors platform.

Ken, I recommend modifying those so as to lower the platform. You could cut a piece of the metal and then use it as a scab to reattach the two pieces. Maybe find someone who can weld aluminum.

Ken S

Thanks for the suggestion, Herman. However, I can purchase just the platform part of the scissors jig for around $28, plus shipping. Or, I could modify my existing scissors jig.

I do not consider either platform ideal for this use, however, the scissors platform seems closer to the mark. Converting a scissors platform to an HK-50 or Hk-40 seems a useful and cost effective solution. Anything involving welding or other such modifications seems not as cost effective to me. I might feel differently if I was sharpening regularly at a farmer's market.

I do believe that in skilled hands, using the HK-50 is capable of fairly consistent bevel angles. With practice, the consistency could eliminate the need for jigs. It would certainly be faster.

I believe there are two main group of Tormek users. The first (and probably majority) group is people like me, who use them on a low volume hobby basis. The second group is people like Steve, who sharpens many knives regularly at places like farmer's markets. The Tormek is capable of producing finely made sharp edges. For the slow group, consistency and edge quality are paramount. Speed is relatively unimportant. An extra minute or two with each of four knives or chisels is not critical.

For the volume sharpener, "time is of the essence". That is why the Tormek is often used in conjunction with other sharpening systems in that context.

All of my experiments: other wheels; the kenjig; locating the ideal jig position for consistent bevel angle; etc. are for the purpose of determining how efficient the Tormek can be while maintaining consistent quality. Our standard techniques work very well for sharpening a few items. They do not seem suitable for volume work.

Ken

Ken S

Herman,

I just purchased a used scissors jig on ebay. For just under the cost with shipping Of the platform part I was able to get the whole jig with free shipping. That will let me keep my original scissors jig intact. I have not yet decided if I want to keep the new used platform in one piece or make two jigs from it. In fact, at 150 mm, I could even make three jigs. We have posted about making platforms for additional functions (short chisels on an elevated platform) using the HK-50 as a starting "platform".

Ken

Herman Trivilino

There isn't room, Ken, for the knob. It will hit the grindstone. You need enough extra width so that the knob can fit beside the grindstone.

There's nothing sacrificed by modifying the scissors base jig to hold a platform. Just remove the platform and it's good to go for scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Thanks for the info, Herman.

Ken

stevebot

I got a chance to play with Ken's knife setting jig. It is simple and functional, and makes fast work of setting the support to wheel distance and the knife jig to knife edge distance.  These two distances define the grinding angle.  They are simple to make from his plans so you could even have several for different angles.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Thanks for your kind words, Steve. I posted the instructions for the jig on the forum in the hope that it would help the readers.

Ken