News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Knife Sharpening DVD review

Started by Ken S, July 19, 2015, 09:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tournevis

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 17, 2015, 03:46:31 PM

And Tournevis, the reason he came out with the dvd is, he is/was retiring from hands on teaching. (no more real training sessions)
Ok, understood, but that's a shame because nothing will replace real training sessions.

SharpOp

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 17, 2015, 03:46:31 PM
Considering I have most of the tools (or variants), already and am not planning on buying spares of those or going into business, I hope you do consider either just selling the dvd, or a package with the book and dvd.

I understand this request and it seems a reasonable one, although I have no idea whether or not it fits Steve's marketing plan for his package.  However, I want to pop in and say that, for most people considering a sharpening business, the current list price would be a bargain whether all, some or none of the possible discounts are used.  Steve has produced a very informative video, with an enormous amount of information packed into a modest running time.

I've learned a lot from the video and I've been sharpening edges for a long time.  I already had Steve's book, from an earlier investigation into a possible retirement business.  I did need to buy new and additional equipment, and the discounts were valuable, but the video would have been a $150 bargain even without them.

Earlier, Ken said something like "beginners should buy the sharpening school video before buying tools."  Good advice.  Buying it after buying tools, even after sharpening for decades, is good advice, too.

~Doug

Ken S

Ken S

We have discussed the benefits of a live instructor vs a a well done DVD. Yesterday I had the pleasure of spending the day with Steve at his home and workshop. While not the only topic of conversation, much of the day involved using the Tormek.

Watching Steve work with the Tormek made me very aware of how close the DVD is to being with Steve in person. I have had the best of both worlds. The DVD provides the added benefit of being an excellent refresher. There are so many subtle details in the DVD. I have enjoyed getting to know both the person and the pixels.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

A well done DVD lacks two benefits....
Not being able to ask it questions, and changing your view/vantage point, if you can't see something as well.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Your points are well taken. However, in this case, Steve is a sharpening teacher of long experience. He has probably answered most questions many times over the years. We also have the advantage of him being a member of this forum and him having his own website.

I can speak from first hand observation that Steve has an ongoing fascination with sharpening. He has both the professional's skill and the amateur's love of the craft. His sharpening DVD is not one of twenty on different subjects. It is not the flavor of the week; it is what he does every week. Among his experiences as a longtime Tormek dealer was being the first dealer in the US to carry the long knife jig (the 140mm length). At first Tormek only sold it in Europe.

This really done DVD by an experienced teacher does address most questions. Those not covered on the DVD can be answered on the support page of Steve's website or this forum. As to the view/vantage point, Steve has given this production a lot of thought and worked closely with the videographer. The videographer happens to be a former student with some knowledge of sharpening. The vantage point is the best seat in the house.

Having been a language major in college in the last century, I am attuned to language use. Steve does speak English as it is spoken by educated US persons. He speaks clearly and his vocabulary is not peppered with local idioms. While not ideal for those whose primary language is not English, anyone who has English as a second language should not have difficulty understanding Steve.

And, yes, this DVD is not quite the same as being in Steve's class in person. It is VERY close. It also offers something an actual class can not, being able to refresh one's memory of the class by watching the DVD again at a later date.

Ken

ps for those in the UK: check out Robin Bailey's school in Bath.