News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Knife Sharpening DVD review

Started by Ken S, July 19, 2015, 09:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have long argued that the available training material, while good, does not extend far enough to prepare the user to efficiently use the Tormek. I finally found a DVD which does. The DVD, Sharpening School, by forum member, Steve Bottorff, far exceeds my original hopes.

Steve, now retired, operated a sharpening school for many years. Instruction was on a one to one basis, and combined two five hour days of classroom and shop work with a third day (when possible) of working as Steve's apprentice at his sharpening booth at a local farmer's market. This was individualized professional training for students wanting to establish a sharpening business.  His DVD is intended to offer the best substitute to actually being there. All the topics Steve taught in his classes are included in his DVD.

One of the ongoing debates on this forum is whether video material can be a substitute for a good teacher.  I am firmly in both camps on this issue. I had the opportunity of meeting Steve and spending a day with him last February during the Hartville Hardware (Hartville, Ohio) Woodworking Show. Affinity Tool, the US Tormek importer, had hired Steve to help out with the demo work at the show.  When I arrived, Steve introduced himself as "a local sharpener". Having read his book and visited his website, I immediately knew who he was. Meeting him was an unexpected pleasure.

With Steve, I have had the opportunity of both working with him face to face and  intently studying his video. Although one to one training is the ideal, a well done DVD is a close substitute. The advantage of the DVD is the ability to revisit and continue honing one's skills.

My stand on the debate is that, ideally, I want both. I want personal instruction in person with the teacher and a DVD to continue that study.

Steve states the focus of his DVD well. He has designed his DVD training for those who want to set up their own sharpening business. He also believes it will be beneficial for those who wish to learn sharpening on a non business basis. Herman has coined a very good expression for this, having a "sharpening hobby".  Those of us, like me, who have a great thirst for sharpening knowledge and no desire to sharpen commercially, will learn a great deal from this training video.

The primary focus of Sharpening School is sharpening knives. There is also a strong section on sharpening scissors and a third section on sharpening gardening tools. These three areas match the work done by Steve in his booth at the farmer's market and culinary stores. I will review the knife portion here and the scissors and garden tools portions in the scissors sub forum.

The DVD has a very solid section of sharpening theory. This goes beyond the basics and delves into reasons why certain sharpening techniques tend to fail. Two sections I found of special interest are correcting knife faults and testing sharpness. In the real world, some knives have bolsters which need to be reduced, broken tips and incorrect shapes due to incorrect past sharpening. Steve addresses these issues head on. He also demonstrates simple testing methods in more depth than other videos.

In sharpening at the farmer's market, one must be able to work quickly to be profitable. Working efficiently is a primary focus of Sharpening School. Based on his many years of experience, Steve advocates using the Tormek for its strong areas. However, the training is not a Tormek only marketing tool. For parts of the operation, Steve makes other recommendations. All the recommendations, Tormek and others, are supported by logical reasons. Steve is a longtime user and advocate of using the Tormek efficiently.

The DVD is part of a total package. It complements Steve's book, Sharpening Made Easy, and other written material. It is intended to provide a training experience similar to being in Steve's class. As such, it is priced accordingly. At $150, I believe it is fairly priced. In fact, for those needing training to start a business, it is a bargain. In an ideal situation, I would recommend purchasing it before purchasing any sharpening equipment. A solid learning foundation is essential. Sharpening School provides this solid foundation. Sharpening School is available from sharpeningmadeeasy.com.

Ken

SharpOp

Excellent review, Ken.

I've been watching Steve's new video this weekend, also, and I'll just chime in to say that even experienced sharpeners are likely to learn new things here -- and that it should probably be on the must-watch list for anyone considering a sharpening business.

And investing in Steve's tutelage before buying equipment would be an excellent idea for any real newbies.

~Doug

Ken S

Thanks, Doug. I have watched Steve's video four or five times and am still learning. I totally agree with you that newbies would  be wise to start with Steve's tutelage before purchasing equipment.

I like your "must watch" word choice.

Ken

OBR

I'm very interested in Steve's DVD video and his materials. I know after watching the short videos Steve has posted at his website that I would learn a lot, but I'm wandering how long the video is.

Thanks - Curt

stevebot

The video is a little over 83 min long, within 4% of the full capacity at high resolution, low compression.
There were a few worthwhile short pieces left in th cutting room that we plan to post on the video support webpage.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

stevebot

July 28 was the official birth of the SME Sharpening School Video. Born breach 27 days after its due date, the first copies went into the mail Tuesday.

SharpOp

Quote from: stevebot on July 30, 2015, 07:15:31 PM
July 28 was the official birth of the SME Sharpening School Video. Born breach 27 days after its due date, the first copies went into the mail Tuesday.

The official release version arrived here today, Steve.  Thanks!

~Doug

Ken S

A second official release arrived here, also.  Nice job, Steve! Your DVD and book should be part of every Tormek sharpener's knife and scissors library.

Ken

Ken S

I have had a real advantage with Steve's DVD. He sent me a reviewer's copy several weeks ago and asked for my comments. After viewing the DVD several times I emailed him my comments and also posted my review on the forum.

Since doing that, I have continued to study Steve's DVD. I am usually the first one up in my household, often by four o'clock. That gives me time to quietly study with a cup of coffee. Each time I watch Steve's DVD I learn more. Our culture seems oriented toward more sound bite type video. I enjoy you tubes, however, they usually leave me wanting more. The only thing I have found comparable with Steve's DVD for the Tormek is the turning DVD done by Jeff Farris. I wish we had this kind of in depth coverage in more areas of using the Tormek.

Ken

Ken S

Steve just sent me an email. He is back from his musical studies in Michigan and the DVDs are ready to be mailed. Check his website for more information (sharpeningmadeeasy.com).

Enjoy,

Ken

stevebot

My video editor just finished a PAL version for our European friends. Since Europeans will not be ordering Swedish and German equipment from us I am offering a non-North America sharpening school package with no rebates. It will be $90 and include the video, business booklet and Sharpening Made Easy book, mailing included.

We will also offer a Blu Ray version for HD fans.

These will have to be burned as needed so allow a couple of extra days for delivery.

Tournevis

Thanks Steve , this is a good news for Europeans.
In the PAL standard version, what are the choice of Language option ?
(French for example ?)
When the Blu Ray version will come out?
In the non-North America sharpening school package  all material will be in English or American ?
I am even more interested by a real session of training with you. Do you planned an European session somewhere and sometime ?
Are you interested to organise this kind of Tour in Europe with Tormek ? Because I found out that this kind of "Hands on" training or seminar do not exist in Europe and specially in France.
Sheang

stevebot

I admit there are many challenges that I am not up to, and this is one of them. Americans (meaning citizens of the USA and ignoring the citizenship of everyone else from Canada to Chile) speak only 'merican and develop almost an allergic reaction to "foreign" languages. I have lived on 3 continents and speak a little Japanese and Spanish, but selecting a different language is not as easy as clicking the button that selects PAL or NTSC. You will have to struggle with American English I am afraid.

Tournevis

Quote from: stevebot on August 17, 2015, 02:41:49 AM
I admit there are many challenges that I am not up to, and this is one of them. Americans (meaning citizens of the USA and ignoring the citizenship of everyone else from Canada to Chile) speak only 'merican and develop almost an allergic reaction to "foreign" languages. I have lived on 3 continents and speak a little Japanese and Spanish, but selecting a different language is not as easy as clicking the button that selects PAL or NTSC. You will have to struggle with American English I am afraid.
Ok then, I'll deal with tell me how to order one non-North America sharpening school package. Perhaps a direct link to your site by PM ?
Thanks
Sheang

SharpenADullWitt

I just found your site was updated to show what the discounts are for. (thankfully)  Considering I have most of the tools (or variants), already and am not planning on buying spares of those or going into business, I hope you do consider either just selling the dvd, or a package with the book and dvd.

My $.02

And Tournevis, the reason he came out with the dvd is, he is/was retiring from hands on teaching. (no more real training sessions)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)