News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening for a better burr

Started by stevebot, July 18, 2015, 06:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Yes, you are correct Herman, I fully agree!  :)

Jan

Jan

Today I have worked on a prototype of height adjustable flat platform for honing.

So far, I left the concept of universal U-shaped framing mount, which would allow both grinding and honing.

In the image below you can see my flat honing platform attached to the back side of the Tormek Tool Rest SVD-110. The platform was adjusted to 10 degrees bevel angle, what is the minimum angle my prototype currently allows. The adjustable angle red wedge is assembled of a steel construction kit elements.

The red laser line is useful for honing also, because the honing wheel pulls the knife blade ahead, and it is important to know incessantly, where the edge should meet the honing wheel.

The knife rest is of aluminium strip 2" x 1/8", its edge was grinded on a belt sander to some 15 degrees. The knife rest tapers towards the edge, where it has slightly smaller width than the honing wheel. Thin aluminum stripes are easy to cut with miter saw, if they are properly clamped.

The locking action of the Tormek Tool Rest is really admirable.  :)

Jan

P.S.: The platform is of course suitable for grinding away from the edge, also.

Jan

Before I go on vacation I would like to share with you images of my flat bidirectional grinding platform.  :)

I used the concept of T – shaped framing mount anchored into the vertical sleeves by two long M12 bolts. The beam of the platform consists of an L – shaped aluminium profile 2" x 1 1/4" x 1/8". The own aluminium knife rests are attached to movable beams of the "sacrificed" Steel Marking Gauge Scale. Laser module with a battery and a switch was installed in a square aluminium tube.

You can see my flat honing platform, also. For honing longer knifes the flat bidirectional grinding platform must be dismounted. Thanks to the micro adjust on the M12 bolt, the angle setting is preserved. 

Using the principles described in this thread, I prepared simple scale for adjusting bevel angles for both grinding directions. The scale depends on the diameter of the grindstone and is in full agreement with Tormek Angle Master.

The laser line helps to maintain consistent bevel angle.

Jan

Elden

Looks nice Jan! Does the vertical threaded rod for the laser or the angle it is mounted on get in the way of the knife handle when grinding?
Elden

Jan

Thank you Elden, for your good question.  :)

You correctly noted that the threaded rod, which carries the laser module is not optimally positioned. That is because I wanted utilize an already existing ½" hole in the T – shaped steel framing mount. Nevertheless it remains enough space for the knife handle and the sharpener's hands.

Jan

Fineline

Jan

Thanks, Fineline! The biggest challenge was the exact mounting of the knife rests. When both knife rests are exactly in line, against each other, then the adjustment of grinding angle is very simple and quick.

Jan

Ken S

Jan, I have been away this past week. Great job!

Ken

Elden

Jan, after looking more closely at your grinding setup, I am truely impressed with your work! Did you use a vertical mill for cutting the slots in the knife rests or improvise? How is the small square guide, located to the left of the knife rest, held in place on the knife rest angle support?
Elden

Jan

Thanks for your appreciation, Elden and Ken.  :)

My flat bidirectional grinding platform is one large improvisation. I misused a Steel Marking Gauge Scale. The picture below shows a disassembled knife rest.

I bolted (4 bolts) the gauge's moving head stock to the holder attached to the main L-shaped aluminium beam. The own aluminium knife rest is attached to the shortened gauge's beam by two bolts. A locking screw (black) fix the sliding beam with the aluminium knife rest in the desired position. Moreover the inox beam supports the aluminium knife rest almost to the wheel.

Jan

Elden

Thanks, Jan, that clarifies things. I see why you say you sacrificed your marking scale when I saw the price of one!
Elden

Jimmy R Jørgensen

wow this is getting to be rocket Science ehh
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.