News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a knife placement problem solved

Started by Ken S, October 06, 2015, 03:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My most recent sharpening of my kitchen knives included several changes in technique. Among them was switching from the vertical position with the grinding wheel coming into the edge to the horizontal position with the grinding wheel trailing the edge. Steve Bottorff recommends this.

The new technique worked well. The only trouble I had was that the plastic locking screw did not clear the universal support. I had to hand hold the area near the tip of the knife when the locking screw was beneath the jig. This puzzled me. I finally diagnosed the problem. With the side of the jig with the numbers and arrows facing up, the knife must be oriented such that the handle of the knife extends to the left of the jig. The problem only occurs when the knife is placed with the handle to the right in this jig orientation.

I do not consider this a design flaw. The jig works flawlessly with used in the vertical universal support position, as originally designed. The jig also works flawlessly in the horizontal position when the knife points in the right direction.

Being able to sharpen knives in either universal support position is another example of the versatility of the Tormek. I like having a choice available.

Ken

Jan

Thank you, Ken, for sharing your experience.  :)

Let me ask a question, to be sure, that I understand your default problem correctly. Did the tightening knob of the knife jig collided with the micro adjust threated rod of the universal support?

Jan

Ken S

Yes, Jan, the locking knob on the knife jig collided with the threaded rod. (not the microadjust knob itself) You should be able to duplicate the problem (and the solution :))

Ken

Jan

Thank you for your explanation, Ken!

For medium length blades your solution is perfect. :) 
I am wondering, if the described trouble can re-occur, when sharpening long and very long knives, even though they are mounted according to your recommendation.  ;)

In my thinking the definitive solution of similar problems, with the grinding wheel trailing the edge, may be the horizontal "Homemade honing jig & cleaver support" suggested by Wootz. http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2583.0

I am just finalising my prototype. Hopefully, I will be able to come up with some images soon.

Jan

Jan

Here are the images of my implementation of Wootz's "Homemade honing jig & cleaver support".
As you can see, I follow in Wootz's footsteps. I only replaced his wooden block, carrying the auxiliary vertical sleeves, by a steel profile.
The blade of the knife is 8" long, but there is reserve up to 10".

It works fine also with wide cleavers, the one shown is 3" wide.

The dimensions of the steel profile are 1 3/8 " x 2 1/8 " x 6 3/8 ". The length of the M12 threated rods is 6 1/2 ".

Jan

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Hi jan

Is it possible to se more pictures of your invention. So we are able to dublicate it 😁😉
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Jan

OK Jimmy, I will make additional photos for this purpose and start a new topic, because this thread is Ken's.   :)
Please keep in mind that it is Wootz's invention. http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2583.0

Jan

Ken S

Thanks for starting a new topic, Jan. It helps keep things organized, regardless of who started the original topic.

Ken

Jan

Agreed. I am glad you are not counting it against me as a transgression.  :)

Jan