News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Straight razors

Started by Petrovich, June 03, 2006, 04:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petrovich

Hi there...newbie on board.

I ordered my new machine today from sharptools usa.

I intend to use my machine mainly for knives and household/garden/garage tools.

I enjoy shaving with a straight razor now and then.  There is no smoother shave I'm telling you.  Sometimes I can get my wife to give me a shave 'barber style'.

I have a small fortune wrapped up in razors.  They stay sharp if you strop them with each use, but in time they get a bit dull and then it's not a pleasure to use them anymore.  My solution was to buy a new razor.  Eventually, I did find a source to sharpen them but it's a pain.  I've tried hand hones and they don't work either.

Watching the video it appears that the machine might to a good job.  Since my razors all have a straight blade..ie no curve to the edge; I think the general purpose jig will work.

The one issue I have is the concave grind of the razors.  Straight razors have a super hollow grind starting with a relatively wide spine and tapering to a very thin edge.

Has anyone tried this?  I suspect the two main issues are going to be fitting the blade into the jig, and determining proper cutting angle which will be significantly less than 40 degrees.

I do recall somewhere that the grinding angle is nearly flat.  Stropping is done completely flat.

Also...will the 1000 grit of the wheel be fine enough?

Jeff Farris

I have done a couple to the delight of potential customers who brought them to a show.

As I understand the geometry, you need a small edge angle worked off the hollow grind of the blade.  

I used the SVM-45 Knife Jig, grabbing only the very back edge of the blade and laying the angle out as flat as I could achieve.  I graded the stone to 1000 grit.  When I thought I had the stone smooth I enough, I spent another minute and a half with the grader -- you cannot overdo it.

For something like this, you want the grindstone surface to feel like a piece of wet glass.

Use the leather honing wheel being very careful not to bring the angle too high.

Practice, practice, practice.
Jeff Farris

Petrovich

I can hardly wait to try it for myself!!

Thank you, Jeff, for a prompt reply.

My results may be awhile coming...but if I am successful I'll post my results here.