News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

re- black stone and japanese waterstone.

Started by bobl, June 19, 2015, 09:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

Wow.
Many replies there.
Thank you all for the comments.
Yes I am still not sure which stone. So many things to consider.
I think as ken says " I should go to see Robin in Bath " and do the training school. Thanks Ken, I know you are right, But I need to save up.
I will keep you all informed as to when I get there and my results.
Which I know will be bril.
Til the next post.
Cheers.
Bob The Knife Grinder.

Ken S

Bob,

I did not mean to come down so hard on you. You have found a nice business niche which can be regularly profitable for the long run.

When I operated my photographic business I always overspent on superfluous equipment. I always valued and sought after good training, but allowed myself to be distracted by the appeal of more stuff. I hope you will not follow my mistakes. Knowledge is power and profit.

Ken

Rob

I would slightly build on that definition Ken.

Capability and competence is power and they stem from a blend of knowledge, skill and appropriate tooling :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

bobl

Rob and Ken,
Nice experienced replies.
I am still stuck though!!!
Bob

Ken S

Don't buy anything until you are unstuck. You say you are having good success with the SG grinding wheel. Stay with it. Forget other wheels until you have more experience and training.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I agree with Ken. Unless you are convinced you are having a problem with the original SG (grey) grindstone that can be solved with a different grindstone, stick with the SG. It really is all you should need unless you are doing something special.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Best.    Rob.

bobl