News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Double Bevel Lettercarving Chisels

Started by biomedfred, June 15, 2015, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biomedfred

Hello, I'm a new Tormek user and I must say; I am blown away at the ease and speed of the system.  The only issue I've been running into is properly aligning my lettercarving chisels that have a double bevel and an allongee shank. 

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4163/auriou-lettering-chisels

Is there some sort of trick to do this that I'm not finding.  I know the manual suggests using the universal support to draw a line on the grindstone and then align to that but I'm hoping that there is something more precise.  The problem is any error I have in this technique is accentuated because I have two bevels to do on each chisel.  Any thoughts?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, biomedfred. We are not ignoring you. Your question takes some thought and we are lean on carvers. Not only is the double matched bevel an issue, the tools are small and the sides are tapered. Other than that, it is an easy problem. :)

Ken

Ken S

You have an interesting situation, biomedfred  (clever choice of forum name).

As these chisels are double beveled like knives, ideally the jig should hold the blade at a level where each bevel receives the same amount of grinding, just like a knife jig.

As the sides of the chisels flare out, the right angle register of the square edge jig is not helpful.

I omitted the rest of this post, as I realized it would not work......back to the drawing table. I have some ideas, but they must percolate a bit.

Ken

Stickan

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The SVS-50 should help you solve your problem.

http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svs-50-multi-jig/

Best,
Stig

biomedfred

Wow! I wouldn't have imagined that the answer would be so simple but sure enough, the SVS-50 looks like it will work.  Using the 'closed tool holder', it references one edge of the tapered shank.  I can then align the tool by adjusting the angle that the tool is held using the jig.  Now I still have to either align that with the 'drawing a line' trick or some other way but the good part is that when I need to do the other bevel,  I don't have to re-adjust the jig.  Since there is a reference face on either side of the tool in the SVS-50,  I just have to flip it over and do the other side.  Thanks guys.  Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

Ken S

This topic is an example of the pitfalls of limited thinking. Stig's answer is quite logical. I tend to think of the SVS-50 as a jig for turning tools. This is a wake up call for me that my outside the box thinking skills need some dusting off.

Good question, biomedfred, and goos answer, Stig. You two are keeping my elderly brain functioning.

Ken