News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Belt Dressing

Started by rickbw, May 25, 2006, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickbw

After watching the DVD and learning how to set my Tormek "up", I dressed the tire with belt dressing as Jeff suggested.

I had my machine for about a month prior to performing the above and never had any issues with it.   But after watching the dvd thought it would be a good idea to maintain the machine.

However, now my Tormek "slips" much worse than before.   I can easily stop the machine by applying pressure to the wheel.    I took the honing wheel off again and attempted to clean any excess belt dressing, but I still have the problem after re assembly.

The only issue, I could possibly think of is that in the dvd the belt dressing looks like a milky consistancy.   The belt dressing I rec'd with the kit was more yellow in color and translucent.

Any ideas?

epw314

Sand the wheel with 80 grit paper.Wipe the wheel off first
Ed.
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Jeff Farris

The belt dressing in the DVD is unfortunately no longer available.

The new dressing takes very, very little. A couple of drops spread on the wheel is all that is necessary.  If you have put too much on, wipe off as much as you can with a paper towel or shop rag. Then rough up the surface of the tire by running it and holding a bit of coarse (80 grit or so) sandpaper against the wheel.  

Sorry for the change, it was unavoidable. The manufacturer of BeltMedic (what is in the video) retired and ceased operation.  It is a shame, because that was great stuff. The new dressing does a great job of conditioning the tire, but it can make it slippery if too much is applied.  Wiping the excess off, roughing the surface of the tire, and giving it some time to dry will restore proper operation.
Jeff Farris

rickbw

Jeff,

Thank you for the explanation.   I probably put too much of the belt dressing on the tire as I was attempting to follow the same process as the DVD.

Thanks again,

Rick

Petrovich

I had the same problem initially.  After the oil sets for awhile it gets less slippery and more sticky.  I didn't sand anything....I just waited 24 hours and it seemed to work good.  Any further belt dressing done by me will be when I'm done using my machine for the day, and won't use it again for several days.