News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T7 US voltage requirements

Started by Blake, May 19, 2015, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Ken, I have a medium size (1.2 l) Swedish kettle Electrolux, designed for 220 to 240 V, 50 Hz with rated input power 1850 to 2200 W.

The usual domestic breakers in Europe are 16 Amp, which allows to connect load of some 3680 W.

An electric oven with 4 zones (2000 W, 2x1500W and 1000W) and grill (2400 W) can reach the total connected load 8400 W. For this reasons in continental Europe, also for domestic use, we supply 3 phases and neutral with typical fuse rating 25 Amp for each phase. The house is "shuffled" to avoid the effect that more load tends to be put on the first phase.

Jan

Ken S

Interesting, Jan. We have three phase power here, however, it is generally used in industrial areas.

We also have different plug configurations for 15 and 20 amp receptacles. The 15 amp plug will fit in either; the 20 amp plug only fits in a 20 amp receptacle. I suspect there are better solutions, however, the conversion cost would be exorbitant.

Ken

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on May 23, 2015, 02:55:53 PM
I suspect there are better solutions, however, the conversion cost would be exorbitant.

You are correct, Ken.

It would be nice to harmonise the voltage for the whole world.:)  But it would be extremely expensive measure. Electricity within EU is now harmonized to 230 V ±10% at 50 Hz. The major advantage of the 230 V distribution system is saving of conductor material.

Jan

Ken S

I seem to recall that in the early days, Great Britain had twenty seven different power standards. (I may be wrong with that number.) The United States and Canada, largely influenced by Tesla and Westinghouse generally standardized on one standard.

I certainly see the advantages of 220 volts with it requiring much less current flow.

At one time, different countries in Europe had different railroad tracks for defense. Hopefully we are beyond that nonsense. Too bad we don't all use the same electrical power configuration.

Ken