News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TTS-100 and SVE-77?

Started by surveyor, November 08, 2016, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surveyor

Hi,
I'm new with the Tormek T8. Is it possible to use the TTS-100 with the SVE-77? I think it could make the setup very much easier.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens

Jan

Welcome to the forum Jens (surveyor)!  :)

The TTS-100 was not designed to work with SE-76 or SE-77.

Nevertheless it is possible to use the SE-76 for setting 25° chisel edge angle when the protrusion is 44 mm and you use the hole B. Read more about it at
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2731.msg14578#msg14578

I do not have the new SE-77 so I cannot guarantee that it works also for it, but I hope it does. Please test it and let us know.  ;)

Jan

P.S.: For protrusion different from 44 mm you will get an edge angle different from 25° and this edge angle will slightly depend on grindstone diameter.   ;)

Ken S

Vollkommen, Jens.

Yes, it is not only possible, it is also my standard practice.

The TTS-100 auto corrects for grinding wheel wear. It also provides a constant, repeatable Distance setting (distance between the universal support and the grinding wheel).

There are numerous simple gage blocks for setting the Protrusion of the chisel or plane blade. My very simple method is placing a blank piece of labelmaker tape in one of the TTS-100 slots and marking a mark for the desired degrees. (25° and 30° normally suffice)

The SE-77 is essentially an improved version of the SE-76. It's a nice jig.

Ken

surveyor

Hi,
thank you very much Jan and Ken. I think I will buy the TTS-100 and give it a try.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on November 08, 2016, 02:36:18 PM

The TTS-100 auto corrects for grinding wheel wear.

Ken

Ken, your statement is correct when the TTS-100 is used with the Gauge jig SVD-185/186 or the Multi jig SVS-50.  ;)

When the TTS-100 is used with SE-76/77 it does not auto correct for grinding wheel wear, except the already mentioned 44 mm protrusion and 25° edge angle. The way you use it, Ken, surely works well for limited wear of the grindstone e.g. from 240 to 230 mm.  ;)

For Tormek it would not be difficult to design a modified TTS-100 for use with SE-76/77, but I think they do not offer such a setter because the edge angle setting using the Anglemaster is in this case quite simple and accurate.

I am a great admirer of the TTS-100 smart concept!  :)

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

I am puzzled. If the TTS-100 with the gouge jig and the Multi jig throughout the full usable range of the grinding wheel, why would it not work the same way with the square edge jig? Granted, the three slots of the TTS-100 are sized for gouges and skews, however, a slot is a slot. The labeltape with the mark converts the slot to the required length.

Ken

Jan

Ken, I fully understand that you are puzzled.  I am also puzzled this morning! :)

I will try to explain it, but the issue is tricky, so I am not sure if I am able to fully clarify the situation. I will show it on the knife jig despite the fact that TTS-100 was not designed to work in conjunction with it.

The two metal contact discs of the TTS-100 define a tangent line to the grindstone at a point where the tool edge meets it. The position of the USB hole of the TTS-100 is for given jig, edge angle and protrusion defined by distances H and L.  See the attached drawing. H is the height of the USB above the tangent. L is the distance between the USB and the stone measured along the tangent. Because for most jigs the distances H and L are different, the USB holes in the TTS are generally not usable for other jigs than the ones for which it was designed.

They are some exceptions from this rule, e.g. the already mentioned 44 mm protrusion results in a 25° edge angle for chisel mounted in SE-76 when the hole B of the TTS-100 is used to set the distance to the stone. ;)

Ken, please do not be afraid about your approach, I am convinced that it works pretty well for a limited range of grindstone diameters. Nevertheless be aware, that it will not allow to transfer the same angle setting from T8 (250 mm) grindstone to T4 (200 mm) with acceptable accuracy.  :)

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

I am working on understanding this concept. I will understand it eventually. For the present, I hold your mathematical expertise in high regard, so I will accept your statements on faith.

My use of the TTS-100 for chisels and plane blades was never meant to totally exclude the Anglemaster. I use the TTS-100 to set the Distance (universal support to grinding wheel) and I used the Anglemaster to initially set the Protrusion (blade and jig beyond the universal support).

Having to reset the Protrusion is a bit more clumsy than just raising or lowering the Distance with the Anglemaster. However, once the Protrusion is established it shouldn't need to be measured again. I will modify this to say the Protursion should not need to be checked with the Anglemaster until there is a noticeable wear change in the grinding wheel. At that wear point, it may be necessary to adjust either the stop block or make a block for the Distance, as in the kenjig.

Either way, this seems more efficient than using the Anglemaster for every blade. By the time one reaches a diameter of 230mm, the user should be proficient enough to be able to alter course if necessary.

Ken

Jan

Thanks for trusting me, Ken.  :)

I see that you are aware of the limitations and that what the reason for my post.

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

I believe that if it was possible to measure the diameter of all of the Tormek grinding wheels in the field, the majority of them would probably be > 250mm, and probably half would be > 240mm.

That seems like a good start to me. :)

Ken

ps I am glad we have sharp members like you to note where a general case does not apply. Keep up the good work!