News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVS-32

Started by mike40, February 13, 2015, 03:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40

I tried out my new SCS-32 today on some of my Pfeil carving gouges and a small 'v' chisel. I have to say that the results were outstanding. I've never gotten those chisels so sharp before. I used a 20 deg. bevel on all of them. I did find the small 'v' chisel to be a little difficult to sharpen. I first squared the end as suggested in the Tormek handbookm then mounted the chisel into the jig and tried to get the angle set with the angle tools, but I found this to be quite awkward, as it was difficult to see if it was lying flat inside chisel wings. I did finally get a satisfactory if not perfect result, but if anyone has any tips on an easier or better way to do this, please let me know. I honed all of the chisels freehand using all three of the honing wheels with the different profiles and I am really thrilled with the results. They go through the basswood like hot butter now!

I like the SVS-32 jig very much and it's certainly useful for a lot more than just short tools. That said I do have a couple of sets of short carving tools I bought many years ago and which I have never been able to sharpen to my liking, so I plan to do them next with the hope of seeing much better results. Those short handled chisels should be a lot easier to use for figure carving than my standard Pfeil chisels.
Mike

Ken S

Mike,

I'm glad the SVS-32 is working well for you.

Have you seen the drawing of using both sets lf shaped leather honing wheels (large and small) at the same time? All you need is the large disk package, the smaller disks, and a couple spare parts. No need for changing or "stretching".

Ken

mike40

Ken, Do you have a link where I can see the set-up you are referring to? Currently I just have the two leather profile wheels that came with my turners kit.
Mike

Ken S

Mike,

The handbook shows a drawing of the set up under "Profiled Leather Honing Wheel LA-120". It's on page 143 of my edition 9.5 and p 151 of the current edition.

When I copy pasted the info from the sharptoolsusa.com site, the very helpful drawing did not copy. It's worth checking so you can see how it works. I'm sure your local dealer could order the parts for you.

I admit I have not tried it. As much as I like a "fully tricked out" Tormek, I'm not a carver, so I have not added the second set of disks onto my unit. (I have the disks, but have not found a need for them, yet.)

Ken

Sharp Tools USA Parts Finder

Replacement Parts for LA-120 - Profiled Leather Honing Wheel

Diagram Key   Part   Qty. Req.   Price ea.
0   LA-124 - Narrow Profile Disc Set (optional - replaces 6)   0   $ 42.00
1   1240 Shaft - LA-120   1   $ 13.41
2   3340 Center Hub - LA-120   1   $ 4.48
3   3350 Outer Hub - LA-120   1   $ 3.73
4   3360 Inner Hub - LA-120   1   $ 5.43
5   5350 Washer for LA-120   1   $ 0.60
6   LA-122 Set of Standard Exchange Discs   1   $ 42.00