News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

bowed edge on 6" blades

Started by jtriggs, February 28, 2006, 08:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtriggs

Jeff,
Been working at 6" jointer blades for a couple evenings. I get a great sharp edge but after having problems mounting in the jointer, I see there is a bow to the edge. The middle of the blade is at least 1 mm higher than either end. I retrued the stone and did it again and got the same result.

Is it my method, my jig or what? I can't figure out what would cause such a bow.

HELP! I need straight blades. And soon!
Jon

Jeff Farris

Make sure you adjust the side-to-side stop so that the left side of the blade will go all the way to the right side of the stone and vice versa.  Use all of the stone on all of the blade.  Be sure to cut all the way to the stop, giving it a few more minutes after you think it is there.

If none of these tips help, call me tomorrow.
Jeff Farris

jtriggs

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I spent quite a bit of time last night trying several things. I'm not sure if it was excess pressure which caused the ends to be ground off more or whether I was just more careful and took longer, but I got the bow out to my satisfaction.

I had my stops set correctly. I'm not quite sure why had such a pronounced problem.

Again, thanks for the help. My shop and house have never had sharper everything!

Jon