News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Started carving a little

Started by mike40, January 25, 2015, 01:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40

Sometimes having to study the words a bit to understand them helps to remember them too. I don't have a lot of memory files in Swedish so the ones I do have are easy to retrieve! I guess the war would be more over basswood for carvers. Most tropical hardwoods are prohibited from being imported here. We have a lot of fir and then more fir here in Norway. Even pine is becoming harder to find these days. By the way in case you don't already know it, there are three different names for basswood, Lime (U.K.) and Linden( Europe) being the other two. They all the same species, but they vary a little in hardness and color depending on where they are grown. I might interest you to know that pine has been used a lot for carving here, but it would have to be slow growth pine with tight annual rings. Very hard to find these days since almost all the old growth pine in the country was already mostly gone by 1850 to make thousands of miles of fences for farms and a huge amount was also exported. I pray the same doesn't happen in Brazil. We don't need more deserts in the world!
Mike

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: mike40 on February 12, 2015, 04:20:30 PM
I'm not sure, but I think world piece is dependent on more people getting into woodworking. Woodworkers seem to be more happy and less aggressive than most others.

I agree with your conclusion, Mike. But I think you have cause and effect reversed. I think people who are peaceful by nature are drawn to hobbies and professions like woodworking.

Jimmy Carter is a good example.  :)
Origin: Big Bang

mike40

You  might be right Herman, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that woodworking is therapeutical  as it seems to have a calming effect on many. I am especially finding that to be true while working with hand tools. Planing, carving, chiseling, etc. They have been using handwork as therapy for a long time in mental institutions.
Mike

Herman Trivilino

I agree, Mike. It's very much a therapy. I feel better when I'm working with my hands. And then I get the satisfaction of producing something of value.
Origin: Big Bang