News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD-185

Started by Kiwi, January 24, 2015, 12:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

Just wondering if anyone out there is using the SVD-185 for sharpening their 'straight' (not curved) Pfeil chisels.  I have been using the prescribed svs-32 although with not much success.  Been toiling around with the idea but not too sure. It looks as if it is possible

Thank you

mike40

I don't have the SVS-32 jig, but before trying another jig I suggest you make sure you are using the SVS32 properly. It looks pretty straight forward to me and if you have the shaft extended to the right length and you have an appropriate bevel angle, then it should work real good. Another area to watch out for is the honing. If you hone at too steep an angel you might be ruining your freshly sharpened edge. So far I have been using just the honing wheel and diamond paste to sharpen and hone my carving gouges and that is working very well for me, but you need to start with a proper bevel first. It's also very important to hone the inside edges and if you aren't doing that it would certainly also have a negative effect on your results. I am using the turning kit gouge and 'v' tool honing wheels attachment for that. You probably already know all this basic stuff, but I'm just mentioning it in case you don't.
Mike

Kiwi

Thanks Mike I have taken on board your advice especially pertaining to honing.  What is the turning kit gouge?  Do you use this to sharpen your carving gouges?   I think at the end of the day to take my time and to take off as little metal as possible.