News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newbie HELP with sharpening and Ezy Lock

Started by gwelsby, January 19, 2015, 01:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

The biggest problem with that prototype shown in the video is that sometimes the handles of knives will hit the scissors jig base when sharpening. Making the platform thicker solved this problem. Another thing I was able to do was countersink the mounting screws so the screw heads don't stand proud of the service. That too can interfere.

I've made them out of wood, plastic, and aluminum. They all work great. The wood probably won't hold up for extended use due to water damage.
Origin: Big Bang

gwelsby

Herman,
  yes, and I've read somewhere here that knives get scratched too.  As one of my over-the-top ideas I thought perhaps a ptfe coated plate under the knife?  Other things I was thinking of were:
1.  Obviously, whatever the diameter of the grinding wheel the centre of the arc in your wood will be positioned over the exact centre of the wheel and then move up and down to compensate for the diameter change.
2.  I would then see a lower plate sliding out over the arc to form a pivot for...
3.  Either the knife itself or, more likely, a second plate which would pivot to our edge angle and slide down close to the grinding wheel with its angle set by a couple of sprung thumbscrews.  (This second plate would avoid the thumbscrews' scratching the knife).  This would allow you to set the edge angle and also the edge depth, preparatory to adjusting the jig for a secondary bevel.
  I see that the initial maximum opening width for Clay's new version is 4mm, not enough for some of the sharpeners.  I assume your max. opening will be constrained by the tendency of the upper screw to bend when the lower screws are opening the lower gap.  Have you ascertained yet what your maximum will be?
Oh, and I thought perhaps that "Frankensangle" may trip off the tongue better.  What do you think?
All the best,
Gerald.