News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Naniwa Superstone Grinding Wheel 500 Grit

Started by paulkane1, December 03, 2014, 01:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkane1

I came across this stone ,a seller in Germany sells it,Has anyone on this Forum used this stone ,for fast Shaping of Wood turning tools? if so,what is there opinion of it? It costs nearly 200 Euros, I would like to get a opinion on it before buying.

Yours Kindly Paul

Herman Trivilino

I don't have any experience with it, but this website seems to explain it well ..

http://www.fine-tools.com/Tormek.html

Note for comparison that the Tormek grindstone is 220 grit, which can be graded to 1000 grit. I guess if you're keen to have a variety of grits in between these would do the job.

Origin: Big Bang

paulkane1

Thanks for your replye.Its my intention to use the Tormek BGM-100 ,Mounting Sets on a separate set up with a Fast speed Grinder,this let me use all the Tormek Jigs for sharpening Woodturning Tools,What Stone type would you recommened for fast Steel removal,for SHAPING Tools prior to Sharpening,

Ken S

I happen to have one of these stones, or one quite similar to it. I purchased it several years ago on the recommendation of another forum member. I used it a few times. It performed adequately, however, it did not cut as quickly as the regular 200 grit Tormek stone. It did leave a smoother finish, but no smoother than the Tormek stone graded fine.

I put the Tormek stone back on and the other stone has been in the box since then. If you want another stone for your Tormek, especially if you are a turner, I would look into the Tormek blackstone. It is optimized for high speed steel. Frankly, I found little difference between the regular stone and the black stone on the few high speed drill bits I have sharpened. Caution: I do not consider this more than a preliminary test.

As for a wheel for your grinder, I recommend the Norton 3X 42 grit wheel. I have not used mine with the BGM-100. It cuts very quickly and costs much less than two hundred Euros. As with any grinding wheel, wet or dry, I recommend getting a diamond dresser. For my dry grinder I have used a single poind diamond and, more recently, an inexpensive diamond bar from Lee Valley. (These are a commonly available item.)

My second dry wheel is a Norton 80 grit white wheel. It was a step forward for me, but I have not used it since getting my Tormek.

If you are going to use the dry grinder for shaping, especially if you have a Tormek for the sharpening, don't fall for the smoother cut with a finer grit trap. Get a coarse wheel and let it do its job. Making the last pass with a lighter touch makes a respectably smooth surface. Then let the Tormek do what it does best, sharpen.
Keep us  posted.

Ken

Rhino

I have never owned a dry grinder.  They are selling many low speed, like half speed ones.  Is there any value in these 1/2 speed grinders?

Ken S

Grinders are measured in Surface Feet per Minute (SFM). That somewhat cancels out the speed advantage of a larger wheel with half speed. The slower speed grinders (1725rpm) are often considered too slow for efficient grinding. They do run cooler than the faster (3450 rpm) grinders, but still can overhear tool edges.

I bought my six inch Sears grinder forty some years ago. At times I have wished I had a larger, slower grinder, maybe Baldor.  However, my dry grinder does not get used much since I bought my Tormek. If I wanted something to augment the Tormek, I would buy a belt grinder instead of a dry grinder.

As far as shaping turning tools, unless one plans to do a lot of it, I think it would be more cost efficient just to buy another tool of the desired shape. Some suppliers, such as Doug Thompson, will custom grind tools at purchase time. As shown on the turning DVD, it is possible, if not efficient, to reshape a tool with the Tormek.

Ken

Ken

Rhino

Ken S

SharpenADullWitt

I'd like to add to the dry grinder argument.  A lot of it depends on what you do with it.  Some change tools quite a bit, to experiment and see what they like (a lot of initial grinding).  Some love to refurbish used/garage sale tools.  Others, use them for tool dressing, cleaning up sloppy welds, etc.  I have a two Craftsman grinders (one square body, that is liked almost as much as a Baldor), one with a multitool belt disc sander, and a Baldor as well as my Tormek.  At some point I will either buy or build a buffer.  But I use them for different things then the Tormek (more fabrication, wire wheeling, buffing)
I'd probably get a slow speed one for tool refurbishing/initial shaping, if I retire someday and start used tool hunting (don't really need more stuff, just enjoy it).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

sadw, your point is very well taken. You have a lot more and varied shop work than I do. You are wisely using your Tormek for its intended use and have extended the scope of your work with other equally tools.

Ken