News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

So what are ya building with your hand tools?

Started by kcbulldog, February 21, 2006, 11:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcbulldog

Without a doubt all owners of the Tormek purchased them to get a better control and finish on their "primitive" hand tools. But what exactly are you doing with those hand tools? (my brother sharpens them and puts them in his case to view)

Me? I've laid down my knife making temporarily to pursue another passion. I love woodworking and I've done my fair share of wood carving, furniture building, and turning. BUT NOW--I've found a passion to really learn how to read the wood grain and its benefits.

I've returned to bow building. Yep, that's right the archery type "bow". That's taking a split stave from a log and fashioning it into a longbow. The same type bow can be made from select boards from a lumber yard.

Almost 98% of the work from beginning to end is done with handtools--draw knives, spokeshaves,planes, cabinet scrapers. You have to be really careful on how much wood you remove.

So, what's your wood passion using hand tools? let's hear about it!--Dan 8) 8) 8) 8)