News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife jigs

Started by tomboyd, November 13, 2014, 12:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomboyd

I just received a sm45 jig and the handle always wants to unscrew or screw in changing the blade angle. Is it me or is this jig messed up. all the vids i see they have a locking screw, not mine.

grepper

Welcome to the forum, Tom. :)

You are not alone complaining about that.  The old versions had a set screw to hold the handle from rotating, but the new ones just have an o-ring on the shaft inside beneath the handle.

Unscrew the handle and clean the o-ring and the inside of the handle.  That can help some.  It might also help to lubricate the control bar with a little oil or silicone to reduce resistance on the handle.

Mine rotates too.  I've learned to just put up with it and compensate with small adjustments while sharpening.

Herman Trivilino

The complaint with the set screw is that it was stripping out. Which is what mine did.

To be honest, ever since they came out with the micro adjust on the universal support I find it's no longer necessary to adjust the handle of the knife jig.

If yours is turning so easily that it can't be used I'd ask for a replacement.
Origin: Big Bang

Lillis

I just put my thumb on it, and the problem was gone. For me it was not that hard to adjust the technique since i was new to the machine.

I actually do use it but not for fine adjustments. With a small blade, it can be a good idea to unscrew it max, to get some distance to  the stone.

SharpenADullWitt

I mentioned this a while back, and am wondering if something like antiseize or thread locker would add resistance or lock it if I decide to only use the nut.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)