News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Skinning knives

Started by nubs3, November 02, 2014, 02:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nubs3

Hi everyone. This may have been covered already yet I haven't had any luck with the search function.
I'm getting the hang of sharpening knives now, yet I haven't had any luck with my skinning knife. It has a really strong radius toward the tip and it really feels awkward to me by lifting the knife handle. I feel as if the angle is changing and its not grinding correctly.
I've tried repositioning the knife in the jig to solely focus on the radius section yet this gives terrible results.
Could anyone suggest how i could sharpen this knife properly?

SharpenADullWitt

Let me ask a question (something that has been discussed lately), does the spine of that knife taper from the base to the tip?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

nubs3

grepper

That's an interesting blade.  I have never tried to sharpen a knife where the tip is above the spine so I'm just guessing, but I would try a combination of lifting and pulling back on the handle.  Normally you would not want to pull back as it produces a wider bevel, but maybe this case is different?

Hopefully someone who has figured it out will let us know, but if not it will probably take some experimentation and practice to get it right, something not that unusual with sharpening. 

Sorry I couldn't be more definitive, but once you get it figured out, please let us know!

SharpenADullWitt

There was mention of knives with a tapered spine, changing the angle due to the spine and how it effects sitting in the jig.
With how much curve that has, I would think that tip would be more of a free hand thing. (Tormeks video does make it look like there is more then lifting going on at the tip, on the knife jig)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

nubs3

that's interesting. I've always made sure the knife sits as flat as possible in the jig and away from any tapering. i know what you are saying when talking about more than just lifting going on in the video. i found that to be a little confusing at first.
I've had another go at sharpening the knife. I checked if it was easier with rolling the jig over and lifting the knife handle yet this brings on way too much angle to the edge and is no good.
I've sharpened it like a standard knife and just lifted the handle. The angle changes as you get closer to the tip yet is sharper than what it was. I'm not 100% happy with it, even though i can slice paper. (not like a hot knife through butter though...) It's going to come down to practice i think.
I'm also taking the tormek to work on Wednesday and will put the dial indicator over the shaft. I've always believed there is a slight bend to it and want to rule it out.

Herman Trivilino

Mount the jig on the blade as close to the tip as practicable. If that doesn't work you'll have to resort to free handing, or a mini-clearance platform.
Origin: Big Bang