News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife jig handles, how to stop movement.

Started by SharpenADullWitt, October 25, 2014, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

On the old style jig, it was easy to see how to stop the handle from spinning. (the little knob)  I used the long knife jig for the first time today (cheap flexible knife a friend asked me to try) and it felt a couple times, like the handle was trying to spin, when going back and forth.  I tried moving my hand out of the way to observe, and there may have been very SLIGHT, movement (felt it more then observed).  Has that happened to anyone else, and is there any tricks to lock the handle more securely?

Thanks
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

Mine spins too.  I find it annoying, but I just live with it. 

It has an O-ring inside.  Unscrew the handle and make sure it's clean and dry.  That helps a little.

Kiwi

I am no expert although I would have thought Tormek would have some form of locking device for those handles surely. I am sure they spin slightly.  I would be interested also if there is a solution or a way around this matter. 

Thanks

gwelsby

This happens to me too.  It is galling, as the manual (p.54) says that the earlier design had a locking screw but the new design is self-locking, without saying how it self-locks.
G.

Herman Trivilino

I think the old design with the lock screw was abandoned because people were stripping the screw. Mine is stripped and it's rare that I adjust it. I make the adjustments at the micro adjuster.
Origin: Big Bang

Edgesup

The o-ring is a band-aid fix. There must me a more elegant way to not have the knife jigs micro adjustment not move. Maybe my o-ring is to small, mine moves at the slightest movement across the rest. I tried cleaning it and making sure that it was dry (no oil) that did not do anything. Anybody have a good solution?

cbwx34

Quote from: Edgesup on April 01, 2018, 01:53:50 PM
The o-ring is a band-aid fix. There must me a more elegant way to not have the knife jigs micro adjustment not move. Maybe my o-ring is to small, mine moves at the slightest movement across the rest. I tried cleaning it and making sure that it was dry (no oil) that did not do anything. Anybody have a good solution?

A couple of layers of masking tape wrapped around the threads of the jig, then put the collar back on, is probably the easiest (but probably not "elegant"?) solution.  It's pretty easy to add a locking screw... I just drilled a hole slightly smaller, then used the screw itself to "tap" threads into it.  (These and other ideas are in the "Tilted Collar of Knife Jig" thread).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

Many years ago, I attended the Leica School. Like everything Leica, it was first-rate. As part of the class, we were shown the enlarger made by the company. It was an excellent product, priced accordingly. The instructor made a point of showing us the light diffuser. (It makes the light very even.) The diffuser on this very expensive enlarger looked exactly like a styrofoam coffee cup.

If styrofoam was good enough for E. Leitz, the Leica company, I would not be above using a bit of masking tape on my knife jig.I have not experienced the problem personally, however, I will file the use of tape in my future if needed file.

Good tip, CB.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on April 01, 2018, 04:51:16 PM
CB,

Many years ago, I attended the Leica School. Like everything Leica, it was first-rate. As part of the class, we were shown the enlarger made by the company. It was an excellent product, priced accordingly. The instructor made a point of showing us the light diffuser. (It makes the light very even.) The diffuser on this very expensive enlarger looked exactly like a styrofoam coffee cup.

If styrofoam was good enough for E. Leitz, the Leica company, I would not be above using a bit of masking tape on my knife jig.I have not experienced the problem personally, however, I will file the use of tape in my future if needed file.

Good tip, CB.

Ken

Thanks, but RickKrung had the idea originally (in the thread I linked to):)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Grizz

Quote from: Edgesup on April 01, 2018, 01:53:50 PM

I have been using Teflon tape. usually 1 full wrap on the threads is enough. if you like it a little tighter, then add another wrap. works for me.

Ken S

Most of us have masking and or teflon tape on hand. Wrapping a layer on the knife jig takes almost no time. My suggestion for those who notice slippage is to try one or both of them. If it works, a problem is solved. If not, the tape is easily and quickly removed.

Ken

Grizz

very true Ken, and nothing is damaged in the process.