News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rust marks on the grinding wheel

Started by philiphilip, October 13, 2014, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philiphilip

hello all
I got the T7 in the mail last week. Already the first time after I used it I got rust lines (?) on the grinding surface. Now the stone seems to be slower in removing the edge of my chisels. I 've tried using the grading stone several times but they just don't want to disappear. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of these?
Thank you.

Mike Fairleigh

The rust lines are normal; traces of steel removed during the grinding process can remain embedded in the grit, where they of course rust.  That isn't a problem and doesn't impede grinding in any way.

The slowdown of steel removal is simply the result of your stone wearing in and needing to be re-graded with the course side of the stone grader.  Or, if you want to turn it into a very course grit (e.g., if you have several tools that you're trying to re-profile), then you might want to make a pass with the truing tool.  Once your tools have the edge profile that you want, you should be able to do most of your grinding with your stone graded "fine" and only occasionally need to re-grade it "course."
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

grepper

Hi Philip, Welcome.  :)

Like Mike said, generally the coarse side of the stone grader should do the trick.  Press HARD and keep at it.  Sometimes it can take a while.  It can help to lift the stone a bit so that the edge of the stone is contacting the wheel.  You should be able to get the wheel uniformly roughed up.

From your description of the problem, you probably don't need the truing tool, but it's always there if you decide you need it.

This was posted just a few questions back:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2251.0

Herman Trivilino

As grepper is saying, lift up on the far edge of the stone grader so that a corner makes contact across the entire width of the grindstone.

Push hard and spend a minute or two at it.

Keep the water fresh and remove the steel particles that are stuck to the magnet.

And don't leave the grindstone soaking in the water tray between uses.
Origin: Big Bang

philiphilip

Thanks for the quick response.

Good idea about using the stone grader on its edge, I'll try that out.