News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Chattering/vibration

Started by henning, October 05, 2014, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henning

Hi guys,
I'm new on the forum.  I have a problem sharpening industrial scissors.  The scissor chatters badly whilst sharpening,
even the truing tool chatters so badly that it leaves a pattern on the grindstone.  I have a T3 model, stone diameter 190mm

Help would be appreciated.

Henning

jeffs55

Try sharpening with the wheel going away from you.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

henning

Hi Jeff,

The way I see it,  one can only do it one way as the burr has to form at the back of the cutting edge. Am I right?

grepper

I've had a lot of vibration sharpening scissors too.  It's annoying, but I just ignore it and everything seems to turn out ok.  Is it just annoying or is it causing a problem with the edge?  That being said:

Did you, can you separate the blades?  If so, do it.

Like Jeff suggested, sharpening with the wheel might help.  I'm pretty sure I've done it.  You have to flip the blade in the jig. 

Does pressing the blade against the stone harder/less hard help?

Verify the control bar is securely tightened.

I've had extreme chattering of the truing tool, especially when trying to remove too much at a time.  Take less off at a time, even though it may take more time.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Henning.  We can use more T3 users on this forum.  Questions about the T3 come up and not many of us have direct experience.

Hy first thought is, have you dressed your wheel with the diamond dresser?

Ken

jeffs55

I am not familiar with the scissors jig and for you to ask me that tells me that you cannot form a burr on the cutting edge if the wheel is turning away from you. I do not know if the formation of a "burr" is essential for sharpening anyway. Seems to me you can hone an edge in any direction but I do not know the answer to your question.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

henning

Thanks for your suggestions, thought I was the only T3 owner!

Jeff,   I will try to grind it opposite to the example as shown in the Tormek manual and try to hone the burr that will form in the 'V' of the scissor blades (the actual cutting edges) away without interfering with the cutting action of the scissors.

Grepper
,  I did separate the blades, it made no difference.  It does help to press harder against the stone but one has to press very hard..... too hard!  I managed to smooth the stone (chattering marks) with the stone grader.

Ken,  I dressed the wheel with the standard Tormek dresser TT-50.

Rhino

I think there is some sort of misalignment if the truing tool is giving you problems.  If tightening everything still gives you the problem, is there still time to replace the machine under warranty?

Ken S

Henning, you have made a good faith effort to correct the problem without success.  At this point, I would suggest you email support.tormek.se , the factory tech support.  The next step would be to contact the agent in your country for a warranty replacement.  Sweden support might be able to facilitate that contact for you.

The Tormek is a good product.  If, by chance, you have a problem unit, it is best to have Tormek replace it and move on.  Look on this same Tormek website under the warranty tab.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Ken