News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife steels and stones

Started by jcmv4792, September 30, 2014, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcmv4792

Would the original 220/1000 grit stone that comes with the Tormek be fine for sharpening hard stainless steel kitchen knives(Zwilling Pro knives made of "Friodur" ice hardened steel)? How about VG10?

Thanks,

John

Stickan

You can sharpen those with the standard stone, even VG-10.

Stig

Ken S

John,

Welcome to the forum. I sharpen my Henckel knives with the standard Tormek SG-250 stone. The stone works very well. Be sure to use the stone graded fine unless you want to create a paring knife with a chef's knife handle! My knives are twenty-five years old. They have the "zwilling" (twins) logo and friodur ( cyrogenically hardened).

Kitchen knives actually may cut better with "a bit of tooth". The edges should be sharp but not overly polished to allow the knife to grab better. Try sharpening some knives with just the 1000 grit stone and some with both the 1000 and 4000 grit stones. (You state elsewhere that youhave ordered both.) See which cuts better for you work. Do post the results,

Ken

jcmv4792

Thanks for the tips, I will get to sharpening my set tomorrow and report back.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jcmv4792 on September 30, 2014, 09:03:54 AM
Would the original 220/1000 grit stone that comes with the Tormek be fine for sharpening hard stainless steel kitchen knives(Zwilling Pro knives made of "Friodur" ice hardened steel)? How about VG10?

Yes, but do not prepare the grindstone with the coarser 220 grit to begin sharpening a knife. Use the coarser grit when the knife edge is badly damaged with obvious nicks or gouges. A knife kept in proper shape and not abused will usually never need to see that coarser grit. I have had to use the coarser grit in some cases where the steel is particularly hard and I was unable to raise a burr with the fine grit.

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S