News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T7 update

Started by Turner Tel, October 03, 2014, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner Tel

Would like to purchase T7 but just a bit worried that Tormek may update T7 as they have with T 3 bringing out the T 4. I would be annoyed if I bought T7 this week ,then T 8 out next week.Any advice for my concerns or has anyone heard about a pending update ? Any help would be much appreciated.

jcmv4792

I just bought my T-7 a week ago and so far I'm enjoying it! I wouldn't regret buying it before a new model came out. Takes care of all my sharpening needs(just knives).

Ken S

Welcome, Terry.

The "T8" you are refering to is most probably a figment of my imagination.  Look at the recent posts under Tormek General posts and you will find one about a magazine article about the new T4 model. I made light about the marketing copy in the ad. The T4 is a notable design improvement over the T3 (zinc housing instead of plastic for more rigidity). The marketing department bragged about automatic perfectly square grinding. In reality this not exactly true. The Tormek is quite capable of producing squarely ground edges. However, to produce consistently square edges requires a bit of paying attention. The technique is not difficult or time consuming. Just monitor the gringing by checking it with a square. If the gring should be a bit off square, apply a bit more finger pressure to the long edge.

The "T8" rumor began when I posted in fun if the square marketing claim of the t4 would also be incorporated into the new T8. To the best of my knowledge there is no T8 in development. The T7 already has a heavy duty all metal housing.

You can purchase a T7 with no fear of obsolescense. One of the commendable parts of Tormek's design philosophy is backward adaptability. I purchased my first T7 in 2009. All of the new innovative jigs and accessories since then are perfectly interchangable with all but the most ancient of Tormeks. Even the new stainless steel EZYlock shaft, a genuine and clever upgrade, is easily user installed.

I will continue to poke fun whenever the marketing department gets carried away. I will also continue to praise the Tormek for being a well designed quality product.  For the record, I like the T7 enough that I purchased a second new T7 out of my own pocket when my first one was stolen during a burglary.
Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Turner Tel on October 03, 2014, 09:19:40 PM
Would like to purchase T7 but just a bit worried that Tormek may update T7 as they have with T 3 bringing out the T 4.

It may be that the zinc housing is a better way to mount the universal support, and Tormek may go to that design with a T-8.

I'm still using the SuperGrind 2000 that I purchased in 2002 and I have no regrets. Tormek is constantly improving their design, so no matter how long you wait, you could wait longer still for an improved version.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

Do you drive a car?  Next year's model will be cooler.  How about a TV?  Next year they will all have really cool curved screens.  Cameras are the worst.  Next model they may solve the high ISO grain problem for cheap.

Nonetheless, I drive, watch TV and take beautiful pictures.

The T7 will probably last the rest of your life. 

If you don't dive in at some point, your life will go by and you will never get to go for a wonderful swim! Yea, I know.  The water might be a little warmer tomorrow.

Ken S

Herman, I would be surprised if Tormek would incorporate zinc into the T7 housing.  My impression is that by using a zinc casting for the top of the T3 housing, they are able to make the critical area of the housing more rigid and precise without incurring the expense of using a full steel housing as in the T7.  Using a combination zinc and plastic housing would also keep the weight down.

While the new housing seems an upgrade for the T3/T4, I believe using zinc would be a step backward for the T7.

Very few products have the combination of innovation and backward acceptance of the Tormek. Herman's Tormek is one of the older units on the forum (and one of the most and skillfully used).  All the innovations are compatable with Herman's unit. i would not worry about using "last year's model".

Ken 

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on October 05, 2014, 10:57:10 PM
Herman, I would be surprised if Tormek would incorporate zinc into the T7 housing.  My impression is that by using a zinc casting for the top of the T3 housing, they are able to make the critical area of the housing more rigid and precise without incurring the expense of using a full steel housing as in the T7. 

I would agree, Ken, but look at the issues Kenny had which were likely caused by the universal support mounts being positioned in the steel housing incorrectly. And now I see in another thread a newbie is complaining that the truing tool chatters when he gets in near one edge of the grindstone. I suspect the same issue may be at play there.

It may turn out that some new method of mounting the universal support is in the works for the T-7. We've never heard of issues like this before!
Origin: Big Bang