News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife tip question

Started by Ken S, September 23, 2014, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I sharpened two of my kitchen knives this week.  I wanted to try Ton's ("Dutchman") new method; I had a flat spot on my slicing knife; and, both knives were no longer very sharp.

Ton's method worked very well.  Stig's suggestion of spending extra time working out the flat spot did the job in short order.  My knives are now sharp. The slicer is now sharp enough for me to have cut my finger (minor stab wound).

My question is how should I finish the tip? Presently the tip is quite sharp and at a very acute angle (around fifteen degrees).  It would work very well with plunge cutting and exceedingly well at penetrating my vinyl floor should it fall off the counter.

Any suggestions on the best way to soften the tip a bit?  After all, it is a slicing knife, not a plunge cutting knife?

Thanks.

Ken

grepper

I don't like dagger kitchen knives either.  I can image dropping it on my foot or sticking myself.  Ouch!

One way is to change the geometry of the tip so that it is rounder.  Keep sharpening around the tip apply a little extra pressure.  The tip will get ground away, and if you work on it, the tip can be formed into about any shaped you wish.  Do it the same way as if the knife had a broken tip and you were making a new one.  Doing that you could change a dagger into a drop point if you wished.

Another thing that I've done a number of times is to hold the knife blade parallel to the wheel and lightly roll the tip against the stone from the cutting edge to the spine just enough to take the needle point off.  Sometimes I've had to hit it from the sides of the blade too just to round it slightly as the first method made it a little too square on the edges.  Best to do that with the wheel turning away from you so the tip doesn't catch on the wheel as you roll over the tip.

Ken S

Thanks, Mark.  Good info. 

My paring knife has actually fallen off the cutting board twice.  Both times it stuck straight up in the vinyl floor.  Fortunately my wife was not present either time.....

Ken

grepper

That's funny Ken.  Of course, both times it stuck straight up in the floor.  :)

I've successfully made new tips on broken knives as well as rounding others.  It works every time.  You can even get more radical and grind from the spine down towards the edge to really change the knife tip geometry. 

Just have an idea of what you want, take your time, and grind away.  I found it a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Mark

Ken S

Yes, Mark, Jim Bowie could not have thrown my paring knife better! Both times it landed vertically and stuck into the vinyl flooring.  Fortunately, the flooring seems somewhat self healing.

You have done much more knife work with the Tormek than I have.  Is that a photographic ball head in your photos?  Clever! i have a couple of them left over from my film days.  I hadn't thought to recycle them with the Tormek.

I do believe that part of a knife sharpener's education should be spending regular time chopping in the kitchen. It gives a feel of what is sharp and what isn't. just be careful not to drop the knives!

Ken

grepper

Yup.  That's what it is.

BTW Ken, did you solve the needle point floor stabbing dagger knife issue? :)

Ken S

Yes, Mark, I resolved the sharp point issue.  My solution may not be ideal, but it works.  I took a few strokes along the tip with a mill file (Smooth grade, less harsh than the usual "Bastard" coarseness). The tip is now slightly blunt. The knife still slices very well, but isn't as apt to prick my fingers. I have not tested it on a floor fall. ::)

Ken

grepper

Sounds like an ideal solution to me.  It worked!

Ken S

Mark, I eyeballed a radius of approximately 1/64" to 1/32" plus or minus.  the knife cuts well, but is less apt to prick my finger. :)

Ken