News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thanks, Ton ("Dutchman")

Started by Ken S, September 12, 2014, 03:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Ton has done the forum a great favor with knife sharpening.  My high school trig from 1968 is as rusty as anyone's on the forum.  However, I realized a little effort with Ton's angle PDF is time well spent.

My family schedule precluded actually putting Ton's tables in shop use before posting.  However, I wanted to be timely. In my case, I want to sharpen my kitchen knives.  Fifteen degrees seems fine for the bevels. 75 millimeters (three inches) seems about right for the usb to wheel distance.  That means 133 millimeters from the stop of the knife jig to the point of the knife. All the tables may look intimidating, however, with some thought, it is about as simple as it gets. As with other Tormek jigs, it can be simple and versatile.

Great job, Ton! Thanks.

I will post again after sharpening my kitchen knives next week.

Ken 

Dutchman

Thanks Ken for your kind reminder.  :)
For the interested reader, the subject is
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1849.0

Ken S

Ton, your system works great! I finally had a chance to sharpen my kitchen knives this afternoon.

I jotted down the numbers for a fifteen degree bevel with a 250mm diameter wheel.  As per your chart, I set the USB to grinding wheel distance to 75mm (measusing from the far side of the USB).  I set the distance from the egde of the knife blade to the bolster on the jig (133mm).  And then, as Rob would say, "Bob's your uncle".

Some people might find the charts intimidating.  I think the trick is to ignore all the charts except for the diameter which matches your stone.  Then, ignore all the angles except for the one you wish to duplicate.  Thus simplified, it is a simple process. (I am glad for the charts for reference when needed.)

The knife jig used to seem more "hit of miss" to me than some of the other Tormek jigs.  Ton, your work removes the guesswork. It's a bit step forward.  Thanks.

While I was sharpening my knives, I tried using Stig's suggestion of spending more time with the tip of my slicing knife.  It had a hollow spot near the tip.  Stig, your suggestion worked very well, and now my knife edge has a proper contour again.

I plan to make an index card with the few setting numbers I need and keep it with my Tormek.

Ken