News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stropping carving tools

Started by joecat11, February 03, 2006, 10:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecat11

The best way to keep carving tools sharp longer is to strop them before they get too close to needing sharpening . This is true regardless of which sharpening and stropping methods or machines
you use. Eventually,of course, the edge gets rounded over and you need to resharpen the tool on a stone.

When I first got my Tormek ,I only used the jigs to strop when I was actually resharpening a tool . I did my in between stopping by hand , preferring to sacrifice a little accuracy for speed so I could get right back to carving.
Recently I have developed a discipline of using the jigs all the time to strop on the leather wheel . I've discovered the following:
1) The tools  keep the edge longer and require less stropping and untimately less sharpening.
2) Since I'm keeping a sharp edge  for maybe 5 -10 minutes more of tool use than before , I'm actually getting more carving time .
3) Through practice, I've become pretty efficient at setting up the jigs using the felt pen method . I'm almost unconsciusly competent at it now. "Fast is slow-slow is Fast"

Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris