News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Revised SE-76 for reverse grinding direction

Started by kennyk, August 15, 2014, 04:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyk

As Ken S suggested,  a copy/paste/update of my post regarding the SE-76 in the reverse configuration. 

As I've been working through my pile of blades,  ( currently I still have a pile of roughly 60 blades to go...)  using the machine in my reverse configuration,   it has struck me that a revised version of the SE-76 specifically for this configuration would be a definite improvement.

By reverse configuration I mean  rotating the SE-76 180degrees and mounting the blade to the new 'left' side of the jig.   (I hesitate to use the words 'upside down' to avoid confusion of turning the jig or the tool over... )

My reasoning is from mounting a chisel in towards the far side of the jig - as far as possible from the registration edge,  I realised that in this position the chisel was midway between the mounting holes for fitting to the USB.  To my mind this eliminates, or reduces the likelyhood of inducing a turning moment or cantilever effect on the jig.

Further, as the blade is lower down and almost horizontal, I find it more comfortable, and the third benefit is that I can accurately see where the grinding is taking place and adjust my grinding pressure focus.   

If only there was a registration edge on the other side of the jig as well...  (hint hint!)   

However to get round this using a square to set the blade in the SE-76 every time does reduce the number of skews I am getting -  occasionally the blade does move in the jig.  (addendum here: ) Also the back edge of the jig isn't completely flat so sometimes I think a chisel  blade is square when it isn't. Another discovery on some blades is that the two sides of some plane blades aren't parallel so a square blade on one side isn't square against the other, but I digress.

I think I prefer this configuration, at least at the moment.   With the back of the blade almost horizontal I can see the burr appearing as a fine silver line against the stone and with this visual aid I find i very easy to control the grind.   Since I'm usally doing a run of the same type of blade, some of the chisels are a lot shorter due to a long and much abused life and it is a lot quicker to reach for the SVS-32 and switch to that for one blade without having to re-configure the machine.  I find peering over the machine a bit uncomfortable as well. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried sharpening chisels and plane blades in this configuration and what their results are, compared to the 'normal' method.

Ken S

I've been away from home, so I haven't had a chance to try horizontal grinding of chisels. part of the flexibility of the Tormek design is having the option of using either vertical or horizontal grinding with many tools. I can see the benefits of slower, more controlled horizontal grinding with chisels needing only minor touch up sharpening.  Also thin paring chisels which don't normally receive large nicks.

I will try both methods.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

When I first got the Tormek and the newer SE76, before I even watched the video, or read the instruction manual, I used the front brackets, to touch up a chisel (didn't really need it, but I figured practice).  Only thing I tried it with was a butt chisel and the 32 jig.  (really need to bench grinder or something first, was a garage sale, really out of whack chisel).  Will take a LONG time on the front, and I am still not comfortable with a lot, free hand yet.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)