News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ideas for Tormek you tubes

Started by Ken S, August 01, 2014, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I like Rob's idea of having several you tubes of about fifteen minutes each in length. I believe four fifteen minute you tubes would be more effective to more viewers than one lasting an hour covering the same material.

A prototype for an enlarged basic training video exists.  The TNT (touch and turn) video done by Jeff Farris  for Tormek and available either with a supporting handbook or as part of the turning tools kit represents, in my opinion, how the more basic training you tubes should be. Although totally filmed in a simple workshop like condition, it is very well organized and produced.  It is divided into sections by turning tool types.  Much of the information can be applied to other tools, such as chisels, planes, and knives.

I believe the key to success for this video is intelligent repetition.  The use of the stone grader is demonstrated numerous times.  Each repetition is similar, but not boringly identical. The importance of a properly dressed wheel receives a lot of attention. The use of the support bar is emphasized numerous times. The use of the leather honing wheel makes many appearances.  With each sharpening, the tool is held close to the camera to demonstrate how a really sharp edge should appear, with verbal description to complement the visual.

The use of repetition allows the mind to comprehend the concepts gradually.  I don't do flash learning.  If something just seems to click, it is because the foundation has already been built in my mind. I believe most people learn in this way.

As mentioned by Rob, the series should include use of the SE-76 square edge jig; benefits and use of the stone grader; wheel dressing and correct use of the universal support bar. 

I would include a segment on knife sharpening. The knife segment should include examples of working on difficult knives, such as knives with hollow portions of the cutting edge.  It should cover different kinds of kitchen, pocket and outdoor knives. it should also cover correcting edge curves which have become unusable due to incorrect sharpening in the past. This would demonstrate how these conditions can be readily repaired with the Tormek.

The concept of working with difficult knives would dovetail well with discussing difficult chisels and planes.  Jeff cleverly covers difficulties in his "tips" portions of the DVD. His statement about the effectiveness of the Tormek "once you learn how to use it" is key. 

I don't believe the "once you learn how to use it" concept will scare away potential buyers. No one expects to be able to play the piano or violin in one short lesson.  Why should the Tormek be different? The Tormek could be manufactured to be much easier to use, however, the cost would be in lack of versatility.

I believe the small cost of producing these more intensive training you tubes would be repaid many fold both in customer satisfaction and in future sales.

Ken