News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A new woodturner tunes up the SVS-50

Started by tdacon, July 21, 2014, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdacon

While using the SVS-50 for the first time to sharpen a roughing gouge, it seemed that as I rolled the gouge from side to side it didn't move smoothly - the jig seemed to catch on the bar, then release, maybe a half dozen times as I rolled it through the full rotation. Afterwards, I lapped the face of the jig on the side of the grinding wheel and then smoothed it further on my lapping plate with several grades of sandpaper until it looked and felt quite smooth. Finally I sprayed it and the bar with a bit of TopCote and buffed them up with a rag. Another try with the gouge and it rolled as smooth as silk.

Tom

Ken S

Tom, welcome to the world of manufacturing.  Don't forget to break the edges when smoothing surfaces.

This is not something we can blame exclusively on Tormek.  I have two expensive wooden cameras.  With both of them, I needed to chisel or sand some edges.  Feel first line routers.  Their edges need to be broken before using them.  Even Smith and Wesson revolvers are often "smoothened" by gunsmiths for particular users.

Cheer up.  At least the SV 50 can be smoothened.

Ken

tdacon

Ken, I didn't post that as a complaint against Tormek. Just a useful tip.

If Tormek fully machined all these things, even fewer of us would be able to afford them.

Tom

Ken S

Agreed.  If Tormeks were Rolexes, none of us would be on this forum.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on July 22, 2014, 12:31:53 AM
Agreed.  If Tormeks were Rolexes, none of us would be on this forum.

Ken

I have a Rolex box, from a friend who used to work on them.  I could afford a free box. ;D
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S