News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Japanese Knives

Started by That Sharpening Guy, July 12, 2014, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Magnus,

When you used the diamond wheel from the T2 on the T4, were you using it wet or dry?

Ken

Magnus Sundqvist

Dry, I don't think it's designed to run wet. Probably due to corrosion or such.
Product Manager at www.sundqvist.se

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Magnus Sundqvist on April 14, 2016, 02:53:26 PM
Dry, I don't think it's designed to run wet. Probably due to corrosion or such.

Thanks.
I read one discussion on another diamond wheel for the Tormek (also wasn't available in my country), and they recommended it be run wet, with less water though (just enough to touch the diamonds and remove metal from the wheel).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

stevebot

True sushi chefs sharpen daily (or have their apprentices do it) on a flat waterstone - 4000, 6000 or even 8000 grit.
When I see a sushi knife it is for repair, usually at the hands of a non-Asian chef. I re-grind the bevel on the Tormek until all chips are gone, polish the bevel and return to waterstones on the flat side to finish the job.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

stevebot

Double bevel Japanese knives are sharpened just like Western knives, as Hermann said.

Ken S

I have been fortunate enough to have learned a lot from Steve. The more I learn, the more keenly I become aware of the depth of knowledge I have yet to learn. The process is ongoing and both frustrating and rewarding.

Ken

That Sharpening Guy

May I ask what grit the new T-2 Diamond wheel is?

Ken S

That will probably require an answer from Sweden during the work week. None of us outside of Sweden has seen one.

SharpenADullWitt

Stevebot

Let me trouble you for your experience in the number of "Japanese" knifes that you have sharpened.  I put that in quotes, because I have mixed information about their knives.
I don't know if it is by style, or use, or target buyers.
How many of the knives you have done are one sided, verses dual bladed?
Do you find it by a certain style of knife?  (example the sushi knife)

I saw one thing that said, the way Japanese people use their knives, they are more of a slicing motion and hence the one sided, 15 degree bevel, with a flat back.
Yet some of the "Japanese" knives I see, are clearly targeted towards western cooking.

and thank you!
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

That sharpening guy,

I have an unconfirmed report from a source in Sweden which states the diamond wheel is 360 grit.
Correction: I decoded the message incorrectly. My source tells me the grit is 600.

Ken

That Sharpening Guy

Ken S

See correction in reply 55 above. Sorry about the mixup. My Morse Code is a little rusty.

Ken

stevebot

SharpenADullWitt,

I sharpen very few single bevel Asian knives, usually for s western chef because the Asian chefs DIY.
The majority of what I call Japanese knives are of the Shun or Global variety - harder steel sharpened at 15 degrees. Wusthof is now also doing this with their PTec knives. I use the leather wheel of the Tormek to polish the edge of the bevel without increasing the angle much.  I get BESS readings of 100 to 200.
By contrast I sharpen most other kitchen knives at 18 primary bevel and add a 22 to 24 degree secondary bevel with 1500 grit.  BESS readings are 250 - 350 but they slice better and hold an edge longer.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: stevebot on May 06, 2016, 04:51:11 PM
By contrast I sharpen most other kitchen knives at 18 primary bevel and add a 22 to 24 degree secondary bevel with 1500 grit.

Interesting! Is the secondary bevel established for the customer's future steeling?
Origin: Big Bang

stevebot

If only the customer could steel that accurately. I do sell a ceramic steel with a guide that duplicates this edge, but I send most customers home with a Rapala ceramic pull through that can straighten burrs and do a little honing but does not damage the knife,