News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Japanese Knives

Started by That Sharpening Guy, July 12, 2014, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

where can I get the T2 in UK
or the wheel and the jig????

Ken S

Bob,

Here is the UK agent for Tormek. I suggest you telephone them.

UK Agent
BriMarc Tools & Machinery
Unit 10
Weycroft Avenue
Axminster
Devon
EX13 5HU
Tel: 0333 240 69 67
Fax: 0333 240 69 76
email@brimarc.com
www.brimarc.com/tormek

Ken

Stickan

Hi,
T-2 is available in Sweden, Norway and France and is sold thru Kutlery/kitchen resellers, not our importers for T-8 and T-4.

Best,
Stig

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Stickan on December 01, 2016, 09:50:42 AM
Hi,
T-2 is available in Sweden, Norway and France and is sold thru Kutlery/kitchen resellers, not our importers for T-8 and T-4.

Best,
Stig

Isn't that along the same lines as its predecessor, the T-4000?
What is your reasoning for not selling to the rest of the world?  Certification?  (NSF, and the like)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

bobl

Happy New Year Stig,
What are the chances of me getting a T2 with all the info. here in U.K.
Also all the users replies and video tube of their uses there of.
Cheers.
Bob
( The Knife Grinder )

Ken S

Bob,

Search ebay for "tormek t2". This is neither a recommendation for or against the seller.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Ken, he is in the UK.  They have a tunnel now, that he could drive over to France, and might even be able to get answers for us in the USA.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Stickan

Hi,
In time the T-2 will be available in more countries.
For a sharpening business the T-2 is maybe a complement for a T-7/T-8.
T-2 is for the serious amateur chef, resturants and larger kitchens who has no experience of a Tormek or in sharpening in general.

Best,
Stig

SharpenADullWitt

Stickan

Could the T-2 be used on serrated knives, both to sharpen them, and to convert them to a straight blade knife, once it is wore out?
8)

Stickan

SharpenADullWitt,

No, straight edges only. Most serrated knifes dont have the same blade as a regular blade though. They are more flat on one side so I don't recomend converting them to a straigh edge.

Best Stig

SharpenADullWitt

The more I think about the last post by Stickan, the more I get this expression. :o

I understand we are on the T-2 topic and it may not be good at converting.  I just found some irony that true Japanese knives that I am aware of (at least Tanto style), have a flat side and a sharpened side.
Tomorrow I intend to convert my two wore out serrated knives to something closer to the boning knives, they seem to use the same blanks for. (these are two sided, Dexter Russell)
8)

Stickan

SharpenADullWitt,

I guess you mean Sashami knifes, which are sligtly hollowed/flat on one side and a long flat edge on the other. Those can't be sharpened on a T-2 if you dont think its ok to have a secondery bevel on them.

A Tanto knife was historicly a stabbing weapon and modern Tanto knifes has a angled shape to be able to pentrate tough materials.

I have a Sashami knife which I haven't been in need of sharpening yet and I doubt that i will do it on my Tormek. I don't use it much as we don't make the kind of food it is designed for either  ;) And I think I can hone it several times before I need to put it on a stone.

Best,
Stig

WolfY

One sided sharpened sashimi knife is just fine to sharpen with Tormek. I have done several.
Most difficult are the ones that are made of very hard SS, so I use the SB wheel which I use more than the SG now a days.

As for serrated knives I do half way and sharpen a straight line instead of the rounded tip and tell the owner that it can be done once and sometimes twice. It get incredibly sharp and dangerous.
But after it become dull he has to decide whether to straighten it and make it regular chefs knife or to reshape and profile with serration again. As I don't do it myself I either send to a colleague that have the right tools for it or I ask to pay him a visit.
Just yesterday I got 2 serrated knifes that was broken  and they asked what to do. I recommended reshaping and sharpening half way. Then later to decide what they want to do with the knifes.
unfortunately I forgot to picture the knives before reshaping the front. Was late at night.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

WolfY

I don't know if the link will work but it's from a food and beverage show in Israel last month.
I was filmed just as I was sharpening a one sided beveled Japanese knife.
https://www.facebook.com/Zeev.Schuster/videos/1342429392467799/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
If it doesn't work try copy paste. Se from min.2. And sorry it is in Hebrew :)
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Jan

Thanks for posting the serrated knives story, Wolfy.   :)
I always like to see when things serve until the ultimate end and not being thrown away immediately when a problem arises. This is especially true for knives made of high quality steel.  ;)

Jan