News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Kitchen knife storage

Started by SharpenADullWitt, July 04, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Haven't been on for a while, between my old hard drive crash and work hours going up.  I remembered a post here:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1471.msg4814#msg4814

Where Jeff Farris mentions "Store knives in a block on the counter, not in a drawer."  I hope he will respond to this, as I expect he is talking about loose.  I am designing my future kitchen build, and one idea I like is putting a knife block in a drawer, dedicated to the knives and the cutting board stuff. (lack of counter space, makes me not want a block, or I will hang one under the counter)
I might have the wrong forum for this (seen knife questions in different area's), so move if appropriate.

Also, anyone use/sharpen Dexter Russel knives?  (given some by a friend, as they were dull and his restaurant replaced them)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

My twenty plus year old kitchen knives reside in the block which came with the set.  Like most blocks, some of the other knives fit in "sort of".  Having knife storage in a drawer would be both less visual clutter and safer with small children.  I would design the knife storage in a modular fashion.  You should be easily able to change the configuration to accommodate future additions and subtractions. In my case, the Henckel block had no slot for a Chinese cleaver.

You also might want to make the knife holding assembly easily removable from the drawer, in case you want to set in on the counter during some cooking sessions.

Over the years I have noticed that the bottom of the vertical knife slots have gradually been cut into by the knives.  I wouldn't consider this a serious issue, however, if I was going to replace the block I would want one with horizontal slots.

Sorry, I can't help you with Dexter/Russell knives.

keep posting,

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on July 04, 2014, 12:49:36 AM
Where Jeff Farris mentions "Store knives in a block on the counter, not in a drawer."  I hope he will respond to this, as I expect he is talking about loose.

For sure you don't want them loose in a drawer.  I think an in-drawer knife block will be nifty.

QuoteAlso, anyone use/sharpen Dexter Russel knives?  (given some by a friend, as they were dull and his restaurant replaced them)

Not me, but one of the nice things about having a Tormek is that you can restore them to like-new condition.  Let us know how you make out with them.
Origin: Big Bang