News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

comparison with Veritas

Started by mickow, December 14, 2003, 02:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickow

Anyone done a comparison between the Tormek system and the Veritas Mk.II system?

Jeff Farris

I have used the older Veritas platen system, and I saw the new one recently at a show.  Of course, I am biased, but here are my thoughts.

Anytime you use a horizontal surface, you face some struggles with grinding evenly across a tool.  The surface speed of the cut at the outer edge is faster than the surface speed at the inner edge, so the wheel is trying to cut more off one side of your tool than the other, making it difficult to keep your tools square.  Next, while the Veritas system is slow speed, it is still much faster (turning - not cutting) than the TORMEK, and without the water bath, heat build up is always a concern.  It's also messy.  The grinding dross is spread throughout your shop.  And, finally, the Veritas has to be followed up with bench stones....there is no provision for honing the tool.  
Jeff Farris

mickow

Any comment on sharpening curved edges, using their jig and using it freehand?

Michael

Jeff Farris

As I see it from their website, there is no jig for sharpening gouges.  It would appear to me that it might work OK for carving tools, but you will not be able to control the accuracy of the bevel as well as you can with a TORMEK and I cannot see that system (Veritas Mk II) as effective for turning tools.
Jeff Farris

mickow

OK.  With respect to the comment about the different speeds of the Veritas platen (faster speeds at the outside edge), what about flattening the back of blades on the side of the Tormek wheel, and different speeds with this 'platen'?  Anyone else got a comment about the two systems?

Michael

grizzz66

just my two cents , but i dont think you can do any better than a tormek , i have been an owner of both systems and the tormek is a hands down better product !!!!  i haven't practiced alot yet but i get truely  scary results  every time, to the point if i slip and drop the tool .......... LET IT GO ! dont try to catch it !!! its easier to put a new edge on than to clean up the lost blood  ;)
what are you building today ?