News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Setting up a new (used) Tormek

Started by Greg_R, November 03, 2005, 05:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg_R

I recently purchased a used Tormek and am in the process of getting everything dialed in.  I have the sharpening book and followed the diagram in the back for assembly instructions.  My only problem is that the stone nut comes loose every now and then.  How can I tighten the nut on the stone as firmly as possible?  I am currently grabbing the drive wheel (rubber) while I crank on the nut with a wrench.

I leveled the stone and sharpened a block plane blade.  My only problem is that my previous sharpening methods did not produce a perfect 90 degrees (edge was skewed).  I now have to go through all my tools and sharpen them (it takes a while to form a new edge angle)! :)  This is of course a 1 time deal... future sharpenings should go much faster.  

I look forward to all the help from this message board!

Greg

epw314

Hello,
You didn't say what version of the Tormek you have. You can get the newest version at the Tormek site. As far as the nut coming loose, tighten it with the wrench and then tap the wrench with a hammer.You say you trued the wheel?Drop the bar down on the wheel to double check your truing job, should be touching the whole wheel.As far as planes not being square etc, to to Http:/www.sharptoolsusa.com and download tech bulletin "square edges".

Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

epw314

First sentence should have had "owners manual" in it.Version 9.0 Sorry coffee didn't kick in!
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Greg_R

Thanks Ed!  It's the larger model... I downloaded the maintenance section and tightened the nut per Tormek's instructions.

Yep, I checked my wheel truing job with the bar before I started sharpening and it was dead flat.  I read the tech tip and am evaluating my technique... thanks!