News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a wide hand plane iron

Started by jtj01, November 06, 2005, 03:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtj01

I have a Stanley Bedrock #608 hand plane.  It's iron is approximately 2 5/8" wide.  This iron does not fit in the SVH-60 straight edge jig that was supplied with my Tormek.  I noticed that Tormek sells the SVH-320 jointer / planer blade jig.  I guess that I could probably use the SVH-320 to sharpen the #608 iron.  However, it really doesn't seem very economical to purchase the SVH-320 for $140 just to sharpen one hand plane iron.  Is there another cheaper solution, or another less expensive jig that will do the job?  

Jeff Farris

Take the knobs completely off the SVH-60 and remove the clamping bar. Now drop the iron in the jig, with the keyhole slot over the left (middle of jig) stud. Now, replace the clamping bar and the knobs. Hold a square to the front edge of the jig and reference it to the edge of the iron. Now, carefully clamp the clamping bar in place.  You have to be careful to keep your clamping pressure flat, but it works and doesn't cost $140.
Jeff Farris

jtj01

Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a try.  It sounds like your idea will work.

tomfromstlouis

It did not work for me. I am trying to fit a Lie-Nielson #7 iron on there and when I straddle it around the one screw post of the SVH-60, the jig will not slide far enough to the left to grind the last 3/8" of iron hanging off the wheel on the right.

Jeff Farris

Are you sure you don't have the jig on backwards?
Jeff Farris

tomfromstlouis

Well, now that you mention it, that must clearly be my problem. I must have misread the instructions or misinterpreted a picture or something. Thanks.

kcbulldog

Now that is some good advice--I tried it on a wide plane iron and by golly it does work--thanks Jeff--Dan