News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Kitchen Scissors

Started by Herman Trivilino, June 10, 2014, 11:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

I have this pair of KitchenAid brand kitchen scissors.  I don't know what the model number is, and I can't find an exact match based on appearance to show you, but they have red molded rubber handle covers.  They're very well made.  I've had them for a few years and I'm thinking about sharpening them, but I'm not sure about a couple things.  Both blades are thick, and there's a primary bevel making them thinner as you approach the cutting edges.

But at the cutting edge itself there is a secondary bevel that appears to be ground to about 90o.  It has a thickness of about 1 mm, and one of them is serrated with very narrow serrations.  I'm thinking the way to sharpen them is to grind on the other blade only (the one that's not serrated) using the scissors jig.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on what might be a better approach?
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

You're on the right track, Herman. Unless the serrated blade is hacked up, focus on the opposite blade only.

If you've got a good, flat, very fine honing stone, Lap the mating surfaces a bit after you grind the bevel of the one blade.

If the KitchenAids are like most kitchen scissors, it is probably very easy to take them apart, which makes the whole process easier.
Jeff Farris

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Jeff Farris on June 11, 2014, 01:29:42 AM
If you've got a good, flat, very fine honing stone, Lap the mating surfaces a bit after you grind the bevel of the one blade.

I lightly wet-sanded with 400-grit paper.

QuoteIf the KitchenAids are like most kitchen scissors, it is probably very easy to take them apart, which makes the whole process easier.

There's a two-sided nut that can be turned with a 9/16" open-ended wrench that looks like it can be used to take them apart, but turning it just alternately tightens and loosens the scissors.  Does the same thing if turned in the opposite direction.  Feels like some sort of cam system or something.

Anyway, grinding the one smooth blade seems to have restored them.  The serrated blade is still in very good shape so I just left it alone.  Thanks.

Origin: Big Bang