News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Beginner, actually just researching

Started by Randy, May 02, 2014, 01:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

I'm on the verge of retiring and looking for money making hobby. Have been interested in sharpening since buying a good set of knifes many years ago.
Living in eastern North Carolina, not many options for a good sharpener.
Should I do this? Should I get formal training, if so where?
Any tips appreciated.

Herman Trivilino

I would start by visiting local hardware stores and asking if they have a sharpening service.  They should have a brochure with prices and the contact info for the sharpener.  Have a knife or two sharpened, or maybe a saw blade, chisel, or garden tool.  Talk to the sharpener, but don't let on that you're planning to horn in on his business.

I thought of doing this myself, but when I got a look at the price list it didn't look like it would be too profitable.

Many professional sharpeners have reported here on this forum that they use the Tormek in their business.  If you can go to restaurants and sharpen their knives with a short turn-around, you may be offering a service that it's much needed and in short supply.

For example, if I want something sharpened at my local hardware store I have to leave it there before a Monday, and then pick it up after the following Monday.  So that's a minimum turn-around time of 9 days.  If I needed that tool to make my living I'd be in rough shape waiting on it!

The guy that runs this sharpening service was happy to talk to me and answer my questions.  We even talked about the Tormek.  He knows what it is, but doesn't use one himself.  I still have him sharpen things like hand saws and carbide-tipped table saw blades.  I can't do those on my Tormek.

My local hardware store will sharpen a knife while you wait, but they use one of those v-groove things.  You slide the blade through the groove.  Yuck!
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Randy, welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to some sharpening schools:

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/school.htm

I believe Robin Bailey is a current member of this forum, and has designed a clever version of the universal support bar for cleavers (taller).  Bath, England might be a bit out of your training budget.

I happen to live in Ohio.  If I did a lot of knives, I would look into spending a weekend session with Steve in Cleveland.  Among other things, he happens to be a Tormek dealer, although his training includes several methods of sharpening knives.  The training is one on one, an excellent way to learn.

I would highly recommend getting some good training before hanging out your shingle. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ken

fllee

Randy,
I've been running a sharpening business for about a year and a half now. Just recently added a Tormek T7 to my tool box and believe it will be a great help. I use several other tools as well. I support 3 farmers markets here in central Florida on the weekend and the reception has been very good.

Depending on your current skill level, and what tools you use, training may or may not be appropriate. More important is practice, practice, practice. There are a great many folks out there claiming to be knife sharpeners who are doing their customers a great disservice. I've been sharpening things my whole life, and still I learn something new almost every week.

As far as what to charge - every market is different. You will simply have to take a shot at what you think the market will bear, and then adjust accordingly. I think I have finally found the right price range for my service in my area after a year and a half. Don't make pricing adjustments too quickly, and you most likely won't get any objections.

I really enjoy what I do, and could go on and on about my business, but don't want to get too long winded.

Good Luck!
Fllee